What's good for a first dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SLounds like youare getting a lot of bad info for a first dive. I have never dove any of those places recommend. I have been certified since 74, now live in Florida, Will be diving Mill Pond run today.

I ahve lived in AZ several times. People that get cert and do their check outs or first dives in the best places miss a lot of diving.

I Was certified in Monteray Bay CA in 74, Cold water, then known as red tide beach due to all of the gGreat White attackes

I have known people in AZ that did their check outs in such locations ads mentioned. Then they would not get into as less of conditions.

Work your way up, unless you are a member of the three dive a year club and can afford to go to all of those places each time you get into the water.

You do not have to see pretty fish and coral to have a nice dive. I enjoyed collecting crawfish in a Georgia pond, Following the double yellow line down a paved road, under water after it was flooded when the new dam was built in AZ or just jumping accross the AZ/Mex border to rocky point collecting oysters and listening to the shrimp. They also have boats down there that go out.

Work you way up or youwill never enjoy the low vis, collecting shark teeth in black water, cold water diving etc.

If you get out or want to take a road trip to Florida we'll take you to some nice easy dive location to get teh experience. i.e. I live 7 miles from vortex springs, check out the web site, they have web cams. www.vortexspring.com

I completely agree with Krisscuba...
I am a fairly new diver...I was certified in the springs here in FL..It really spoiled everyone (THOUGH NOT ME IT WAS TOOO COLD FOR SUMMER)...I have dived the Gulf every week end since..vis mostly since June has been no better than 12ft...We shark teeth hunt, check out wrecks, play with dolphins, dive man made reefs..I have never dove Bonaire and truely have no intentions any time soon as many friends and fellow divers locally say that it is truely no big deal....I am going to CZ mid Aug and Belize in late Aug But I wil have well over 30 dives by then if not more Depends on how many other plans we cancel to go join a local diver on their planned trips...
I lived in Sedona for some time when I was younger my father dived locally all the time...Not to mention all the dives that you can take out of CA cheaper than those of that are here in FL...
Drive over increases your dive time on your vacation!!!
Though if you are ever here we are always up for a dive!!! Springs or other wise
:scuba: ALWAYS DIVE SAFE!!! MAYBE TRY LOCAL BUDDY BOARDS AND SEE IF YOU CANN"T DIVE LOCALLY TOGETHER A WHILE

My dive buddy and myself chose Key West as our first ocean dive. I am glad we did. The current was not strong. There were several shallow reef dives that we could do to get our feet wet. Once we got a few of those dives in we did some deeper wreck dives. We also went to Loe Key and did some reef diving there. All in all it was a good place for us to start. I don't feel like we got into anything over heads. We didn't freak out because we were overwhelmed with everything. Just remember be safe wherever you decided to go. Have a great time!

Jana

Listen,

i was certifed back in 1969, after diving for about 6 years I got married and gave up diving. This past June some of my buddies that were divers convinced me to get back into the sport. I went to Cozumel with them and had a check out dive with a Dive Paradise Instructor. First dive was off the beach at the Barracuda Hotel in about 28 fsw. I little current but it was a great way for me to get back into diving. I'm hooked again. Good Luck on you trip

mchiapetto once bubbled...
We may be an exception but we did our first dives at Cozumel and had a fantastic time. We completed our OW in August and booked a trip to Coz in October.

As for the drift diving, we found it to be easier than Bonaire (we did a week in Nov 2002). You slipped over the side of the boat and dropped down to the bottom. Then you just floated along until it was time to surface. And when you surfaced, the boat was right there. What can be easier than that? Since there were no walls, you did not have to worry about going too deep. You just stayed a few feet above the bottom.

There was no checking the direction of the current, starting the dive into the current until your air reached a certain point, then swim back for the same amount of time before looking for the boat. We could concentrate on getting comfortable with watching our gauges, keeping an eye on our buddy and working on bouyancy skills.

Have fun and be safe.

I also was certified in August and went on my first dives in October in Coz. Although I agree with mchiapetto's post about the ease of current diving, I must agree with others on the safety concerns in Cozumel. I went with Aquaworld, which probably is not a good dive outfit because they load so many people on the boat. Even though the DM knew there were many newbies on the dives, there was no instruction or assistance and I ended up rushing into the water after a quick run-through. Once under, the DM simpy went about doing his thing as though he were diving by himself, not bothering to check out the group and see how we were doing. He didn't even make sure everyone was okay after going down, just took off. One of the newbies freeked out and trid to go to the surface from 60', but another guy managed to calm him down. Very scary to watch this and the DM did not even realize what had happened. He then led the group through this hole in the rock about 20' long. I followed but was concerned about gretting hung up in there. I wouldn't have followed but was afraid I'd be left behind. On a subsequent dive we hit the wall and when you are about 70' down at the edge of the wall it is pretty intimidating. It looks like it must be a mile deep and I couldn't help thinking what would happen if someone got disoriented and descended acccidentally.

The scenery was awesome and we saw incredible fish and marine life, but safety issues were almost routinely overlooked for new divers. One of the other cons to first time diving in Coz is that you will be spoiled. Most other dives will not be as good:)
I went to Sandals in Jamaica mostly for the all inclusive dive and it sucked. There was nothing to see. Anything decent has been stripped long ago.

Good luck and dive safe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom