Whats gives with the Mares Proton XL??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquaPixie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Farmington Hills, MI --> Weeki Wachee, FL
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok I am at my wits end with this reg.....
I have a Mares Proton XL reg and since iv had it.. iv had multipal problems with it.

First it started to have this 'ring' upon intake after approx 20 dives (cold/fresh water)
So Repair rep said it was a seating in the first stage. (so I had it repaired)

Then I was at the quarry doing a DIR-F cource and as I was getting ready to giant stride in all of a sudden a hear what sounds like free flow from my first stage.
Apperently there is an O-ring in the 1st stage, which broke.
(so again had it repaired.)

about 3 weekes ago went to Toby and again the ring was back... so i took it ot the pool and it seems to go away.

Last night went to the pool to do some skill and as im getting in I again hear the freeflow from the 1st stage.. looks like the O-ring broke again!

has anyone had issues with the Mares Proton XL, or is it just my dumb luck??

has anyone had issues with the Mares Proton XL, or is it just my dumb luck??[/QUOTE]

I've serviced many Protons, along with just about every reg that Mares has produced in the last 15 years or so. This is very uncommon for Mares Proton XL's, and it makes me wonder about the technician servicing your reg.

Greg Barlow

Greg Barlow:
has anyone had issues with the Mares Proton XL, or is it just my dumb luck??

I've serviced many Protons, along with just about every reg that Mares has produced in the last 15 years or so. This is very uncommon for Mares Proton XL's, and it makes me wonder about the technician servicing your reg.

Greg Barlow[/QUOTE]

Greg - I would strongly agree with you.

AquaPixie - You should expect a very clear explaination regarding what was done wrong with the first fix and how this time, it was done correctly. I would worry if you don't get that. Beware the cheap O-ring replacement.

On a side note, Nice to hear about someone practicing - just be aware that chlorine can be tough on equipment.

Back
Top Bottom