Whats better, and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

C

Colton

I didn't know if I should of posted this thread in the mask section or not, Sorry if I put this Thread in the wrong area.

My questian is whats mask is better. A framless mask or a mask with a frame and why is it better:confused: ?

Thanks for eny info.:)

(Sorry for spelling erors. I'm writing fast.)

Colton

Whether or not there is a frame, has more to do with the manufacturer and the type of lense used. What you need to concentrate on is whether or not it meets all the physical requirements of comfort and fit and then pick what you like. I have a single larged lensed mask with a fram, but I chose it for fit and my personal taste.
Ask your local dive shop for advise and they will tell you the same and they should have sample masks that you can try in their training pool to see if you like them.
That should be your first port of call. Try out your buddies mask also. If the main issues are covered then the rest is colour and looks.
Chow for now,
Gasman

Hello,

Many of us like the frameless masks due to solid construction and comfort, but my backup mask has a frame and is very comfortable to me, but not as much as my ScubaPro frameless. That mask is a dream, I love it. I also have the Oceanic shadow that I like a lot, but the pins are a bit problematic if not looked at prior to each dive. (they can come loose on you)

Most important thing is that it fits you well, has high quality silicone and is low volume

You can have the most recommended mask, that is the top of the top, but if it doesn't work for you it is useless.

I used a Scubapro frameless for a couple of years but the seal between the lens and skirt began to leak. It was not repairable.

Of course having said that, I have also encountered problems in the distant past with a Scubapro plastic mask frame cracking as it aged.

Both were warrantied however and in the case of the Scubapro frameless mask the LDS let me swap it for a US Divers Hawaii 1 which was very close in size, volume and fit to the Scubapro frameless mask.

In the end I think there are pros and cons both ways and it comes down to personal preference and fit.

regardless of which way you go .... both should be tried on and tested for seal the same way.....

take your reg with you and stick it in your mouth....put the mask up to your face without using the strap. Breath in....you should be able to hold the mask to your face without it falling...or leaking air.....if it leaks air it will leak water.

trying a mask without your reg is asking to waste a lot of money. A reg distorts the contour of the face quite a bit.

Hope it was a help.

Back
Top Bottom