What's better? A 7mm fullsuit or 5mm full + 5mm vest?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mtnpool

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

What do you think is more versatile? Considering most of my dives will be in tropical areas, with the occasional cooler (down to about 60f) trip, what would be a better option? I know 7mm has a wide temp. range as you could always cool off by letting water in, but wouldn't a 5mm plus 5mm hooded vest be just as warm? Also, do most people wear the hooded vest over or under the fullsuit? Thanks in advance for all your suggestions and advice! :scatter:

mtnpool:
Hi all,

What do you think is more versatile? Considering most of my dives will be in tropical areas, with the occasional cooler (down to about 60f) trip, what would be a better option? I know 7mm has a wide temp. range as you could always cool off by letting water in, but wouldn't a 5mm plus 5mm hooded vest be just as warm? Also, do most people wear the hooded vest over or under the fullsuit? Thanks in advance for all your suggestions and advice! :scatter:

Personally 5mm for a tropical dive is way to much.I dove Aruba with water temps of 70 with only swim trunks and was more than fine. Don't know what your water temps are but dive what you need.

5mm full plus a 5mm hooded vest I think would be WAY too much. Ever think about a 2 or 3mm hooded vest? That would give you 7 to 8mm for a core warmer and then 5 for the limbs. Going with a 5mm and then layering also gives you more options for when the water conditions are warmer. Really don't think that you will need the vest though.

Most of the time a vest is worn under the full.

70 in shorts, you must be used to the cold :wink:

If you call FL tropical it ranges from ~60-85 through the year, anything from a 7mm to a 1mm/skin. I would suggest a 3mm full for your tropical dives and either a shorty/core warmer (~3mm) or another full suit (7mm?) for the rest of your diving, then you can mix and match a bit.

crpntr133:
Personally 5mm for a tropical dive is way to much.I dove Aruba with water temps of 70 with only swim trunks and was more than fine. Don't know what your water temps are but dive what you need.

5mm full plus a 5mm hooded vest I think would be WAY too much. Ever think about a 2 or 3mm hooded vest? That would give you 7 to 8mm for a core warmer and then 5 for the limbs. Going with a 5mm and then layering also gives you more options for when the water conditions are warmer. Really don't think that you will need the vest though.

Most of the time a vest is worn under the full.

Sorry, I forgot to mention I already have a 2.5mm or skin for tropical dives, but am just looking for an additional piece that will let me go down to maybe 50F or so. I was just wondering whether to get the 7mm or a combination of 5mm and a hooded vest. You do sound like a pretty hardy diver, though! Thanks!

simbrooks:
70 in shorts, you must be used to the cold :wink:

If you call FL tropical it ranges from ~60-85 through the year, anything from a 7mm to a 1mm/skin. I would suggest a 3mm full for your tropical dives and either a shorty/core warmer (~3mm) or another full suit (7mm?) for the rest of your diving, then you can mix and match a bit.

Thanks, I have a 2.5mm already, and just wanted to get an additional piece for more versatility down to 50F, just wasn't sure if the 7mm alone or a combination of 5mm and a vest would be more suitable.

dove yesterday in 62 degrees, i used my 7mm onepiece with my 4mm hooded vest. could have made 2 or 3 dives ok, havent dove the 50's yet but i think this setup, for me, will handle it.

mtnpool:
Sorry, I forgot to mention I already have a 2.5mm or skin for tropical dives, but am just looking for an additional piece that will let me go down to maybe 50F or so. I was just wondering whether to get the 7mm or a combination of 5mm and a hooded vest. You do sound like a pretty hardy diver, though! Thanks!

45 degrees @ 80' with a 6.5 semi dry for about 20 minutes...nice and warm. I really don't consider myself a hardy diver but to each his own.

The DM on the Aruba dive was from Chicago and said he wouldn't dive anything less than a 5mm in Aruba. That was with hood and all. My avatar is a pic of me in Aruba..just shorts.

Don't know if you have a Sam's Club (Walmart wholesale) in your area but they have 2.5 shorties for under $40 in the spring.

Cool, there are Sam's Clubs in the area, I just didn't know they sold any scuba stuff. I'll have to check it out someday! Thanks.

skeet:
dove yesterday in 62 degrees, i used my 7mm onepiece with my 4mm hooded vest. could have made 2 or 3 dives ok, havent dove the 50's yet but i think this setup, for me, will handle it.

Thanks for sharing your experience, as I have none in cooler waters.

Go thicker. If you get hot, open the neck a wee bit and flush in some cooler water.
Once you get cold, you're not going to be getting warmer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom