what's best liveaboard for a non-diving spouse?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The first question to ask is what we should do on her ideal Caribbean vacation: sit on a beach reading, explore quaint villages, shop, hike through rain forests, sail, snork...? Pretty much anything can be had in a place where you can do two or three tanks a day of great diving.

Unless she is really into sitting on a boat deck and reading, I can't see how a liveaboard trip would be fair to her. At minimum, you'll be leaving her on her own for 3 or 4 hours a day, so I'd make sure there are plenty of activities she likes so the time will pass quickly.

Have you thought about separate vacations for that week? There might be somewhere she wants to go that you'd just as soon skip.

Alex

mike s,
my wife does not dive.
she went with me on the caribbean explorer.
we did the saba - st. kitts trip.
she read 6 books.
she enjoyed the trip because of the shore tours that were provided.
while we dove the crew spoiled her.
regards,

Damselfish:
The Cuan Law in BVI might be an idea for a liveaboard, although expensive. http://www.bvidiving.com/
I've heard good things about the Cuan Law for people in mixed marriages (diver and non-diver). We had a couple from out dive club do a trip with them and both the diver and the non-diver loved it.

Here's their url:
http://www.cuanlaw.com/

Luke

The Aqua Cat is great for non-divers. They have a 28' launch, the Sea Dog, that takes passengers on daily shore excursions. It also has large cabins and a large sundeck. Go to www.aquacatcruises.com

I'd have to say that one of the Nekton boats might be best. They don't rock/roll very much. There is a nice indoor salon with wide screen TV a nice selection of books to read. There is also a nice sun deck with whirlpool. Nekton has sit-on-top kayaks which they will put in the water for guests as well.

'Slogger

The Aqua Cat is a great liveaboard for non-diving spouses. It has a 28' launch, the Sea Dog, that operates shore excursions. She can kayak, hike, beachcomb, sunbathe, feed iguanas or snorkel. The cabins are very large with private baths and it has a large sundeck. We had a number of non-divers on our cruise and they had a great time. Their website is www.aquacatcruises.com

mike_s:
but one major thing hold me back from going on one. Their saftey record. After their ship the Phantome (sp?) sank and everyone on board was killed, authorities interviewed a lot of the past crew about the condition of the ship, known saftey problems, issues, etc... and it was a pretty scarey report of interviews.. Their ships would come no where close to passing a US Coast Guard inspection...
You seem to be talking about a specific company. Which one do you mean? There are numerous operators running cruises on windjammers... surely, they can't all be the same.

I'd suggest either AquaCat or one of the Nektons. Both are huge multi-level boats so it feels more like a houseboat with different spaces to hang out. Both have nice salons with DVD/VHS players and a library of tapes and books. Both have hot tubs and nice sun decks as well as tables in fresh air but out of the sun. Both have occasional shore excursions via the run-abouts. You can also snorkel at some dive sites while moored.

The non-diver needs to be laid back and ready for a lot of relaxation and a lot of food on a live-aboard!

mike_s:
but one major thing hold me back from going on one. Their saftey record. After their ship the Phantome (sp?) sank and everyone on board was killed, authorities interviewed a lot of the past crew about the condition of the ship, known saftey problems, issues, etc... and it was a pretty scarey report of interviews.. Their ships would come no where close to passing a US Coast Guard inspection...

Good Lord, don't let the facts get in the way of decisions. No passengers were lost nor aboard when the Windjammer Fleet's SV Fantome was lost to Huricane Mitch. Windjammer is a fine operation... it is not a liveaboard. Therein lies the distinction.

As to USCG inspected vessels, there are precious few that ply the Mar Caribe other than the Nekton. Others may add a few to that list, but if that is your criteria, the list is few.

The best liveaboard for this situation? One that has NCL painted on the smokestack.

Back
Top Bottom