What's a trust me dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

halemanō;5845390:
So, if you have enough gas and enough dive knowledge to get yourself safely to the surface, and the surface is safe, then just following the guide is not a trust me dive?

Nope. You've selectively picked just one aspect, albeit the most important one.

Using the full knowledge and skill in all phases of the dive (including planning), is part of the equation - otherwise you are delegating responsibility for your personal safety and creating reliance.

halemanō;5845390:
Could anyone give links to a typical recreational "trust me" dives that "literally" killed somebody?

I probably could, but my time is money...and I won't pander your whims for free. :wink:

You could do your own research...start with the DAN Annual Reports and the BSAC Annual Accident Reports...there's plenty of examples there.

Simple question really, I'm new to diving and have head the term "trust me" dive and don't know that it is.

Inst 'Hey buddy is that your hot girlfriend with the big cans?'
Diver ' yeah'
Inst' Nice, anyway here's your Nitrox 60'
Diver ' Great.. wait..I wanted 32'
Inst ' uh.. that's what I said'
Diver' You sure?'
Inst ' Trust me' :wink:

I've never had someone said 'trust me' to me... but I've had a newbie instabuddy tell me 'I'm trusting you because I'm out of practice' .... All I said was 'hum...k' ....

halemanō;5845390:
So, if you have enough gas and enough dive knowledge to get yourself safely to the surface, and the surface is safe, then just following the guide is not a trust me dive?

Could anyone give links to a typical recreational "trust me" dives that "literally" killed somebody?

Here's one: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/accidents-incidents/283416-diver-death-cayman.html

Guide taking recreational divers on one of that area's "typical recreational dives" for them. Ultimate trust me dive F**# UP.

And last time I'm feeding this :troll:

It is also like the OS handle in a car. You hold on and hope for the best. NOT A GOOD way to make a dive. You will want to be comfortable with the dive and plan, otherwise call the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom