What would you recommend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BrianOrange

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm a brand new diver that will be doing almost all of my dives in warm waters (Carribbean, Keys, etc) in the late Spring and Summer months. That said, this February I will be in the Keys for some diving. In addition, I'd like to purchase a suit that I could use diving up north in the summer months. In addition, looking ahead, I'd like to try a liveaboard (again it would be in the Spring or Summer) and I know you chill more easily after a few repetitive dives. I already have a 3mm long sleeved shorty which I love.
I am debating what type of suit I should get next. I probably chill a bit easier than most but I just don't have enough dives to know for sure.

Do I get a 3mm Farmer John and layer that over my 3mm long sleeve shorty? This would work for the Keys but probably not for diving up North in the summer or even on a liveaboard, right?

Do I purchase a new 3mm suit? Again, fine for the Keys but not for up North and maybe not even for a liveaboard after 3 or 4 days of repetitve diving.

Do I purchase a 5 mm?

I want to get this right so I can FINALLY stop purchasing my equipment.

Brian

Even for the summer months here, we use 7 mm suits with gloves and hoods. Actually mine is a farmer john, 2 layers of 7 mm each. Many, if not the majority use drysuits. On the bottom in later summer at peak warmth you get mid 50s to low 60s. You will be very cold in a 3 mm.

I've got a 3 mm for vacation diving, and have done some dives around 70F with it and it gets a little cold.

I guess for the liveaboard it would depend on where. I've dove the Caribbean many times 5 or 6 days in a row in my 3 mm and was fine.

A 3mm fullsuit of good quality is a basic which you could wear with your shorty if you need it (did this in Hawaii once).

I have gotten a 5mm Henderson Thermoprene suit last year (stretchy material but still warm) and it is NOW my favorite suit. Got it on Scubatoys.com http://www.scubatoys.com/store/sear...el=2&txtCatName=2&PAGE=3&PageSize=12&sortBy=5 for a killer price. It is very good quality and easy on and off. My previous favorite suit was a 3mm Henderson Hyperstretch and though it is easy on and off, it also "creeps" on your skin and lets in more water than I like, so I was starting to get cold in it after 4+ years. I bought a new one and found it was the same, so I decided to try the Thermoprene. It is not quite as stretchy as the Hyperstretch which is a good thing - it doesn't creep or let in water like the old suit, plus it is thicker. I LOVE it. I used this suit in Roatan last Nov where water temps were 78-80 but doing 4+ dives per day for a week tends to keep your core from getting back up between dives. Also used it in Cozumel in March, same water temps, then in cenote where water was around 70 degrees. Worked great for all. I know thing I will use it instead of my 3mm for warm water. :D

I have a 7mm fullsuit and a drysuit for cold water. :D

The BIG thing I want to stress is to buy GOOD quality SCUBA wetsuit, don't buy cheap department store crap. They won't keep you warm as they are made for water skiiing or surfing, poor quality neoprene is not made for Scuba!!! I have ranted about this for years here on SB, so I won't go into it more. Just my advice to stick with a major brand, like Henderson, Akona, Aqualung, etc. :wink:

robin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom