What would you do if your computer died?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Finish your dive, using your Buddie's profile.
Hopefully, you should know his air consumption vs. your's & finish the dive...

Prevention is better than cure.I get a new battery fitted in my computer before a dive trip and i carry tables and my paper log book with me.-That bag padi supplied when I did my theory a few years back is still a neat waterproof container for stuff i want to keep dry.

Incidently. Isn't it common practice for the skipper to record your max depth,bottom time and finish air? I notice they have done it at every vacation dive resort but not back here

I'd look at my other computer, which goes along on every dive, and keep on divin'.

Not to start a tables vs computer argument, but why would someone plan on using tables for a dive Vacation? Tables are much more limiting, and on vacation, I want bottom time.

Sitting on the flight to Cozumel...

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

The ironic thing is that using tables, average depth and some basic shortcuts has given me more BT. If I dive 32%, I use the rule of 130. < 2 hour surface interval = half the usual NDL of a given depth. > 2 hour surface interval = the full amount of BT for a given depth (or 75% of it if you want to add conservatism). Use average depth as displayed by your depth gauge/bottom timer, and you will find that you arent exactly limited. These shortcuts/guidelines can all be found in the GUE Fundamentals course material book.

EDIT: And I am not trying to push GUE on anyone. I only mention the last part to cite my sources so that it didnt look like some random "cheat sheet" that I pulled out of my behind :wink:

The ironic thing is that using tables, average depth and some basic shortcuts has given me more BT. If I dive 32%, I use the rule of 130. < 2 hour surface interval = half the usual NDL of a given depth. > 2 hour surface interval = the full amount of BT for a given depth (or 75% of it if you want to add conservatism). Use average depth as displayed by your depth gauge/bottom timer, and you will find that you arent exactly limited. These shortcuts/guidelines can all be found in the GUE Fundamentals course material book.

EDIT: And I am not trying to push GUE on anyone. I only mention the last part to cite my sources so that it didnt look like some random "cheat sheet" that I pulled out of my behind :wink:

If you are safely getting more BT with tables and shortcuts then you probably need a better (more liberal) computer.

kazbanz:
Incidently. Isn't it common practice for the skipper to record your max depth,bottom time and finish air? I notice they have done it at every vacation dive resort but not back here

I've used about 15 different ops on trips and about 10 different local charters. Only one op has ever recorded any info about my dive.

If this was a diving holiday I personally wouldn't have been stuffing around with tables prior to the incident as to me the simplicity of diving a computer makes the experience more enjoyable. I realise that there are people out there who get their jollies from planning their dives and agonising over every possible potential issue as can be seen from some of the replies and good luck to them - to each their own.
There are also a number of "I would just continue using my 2nd computer" statements which seems to be a way of suggesting an additional computer would solve the issue while indicating they were smart enough to think of it without actually giving an opinion about what to to in the case the OP presented. While a second computer is an excellent solution if you have one it makes no sense in having it sitting in the room as one poster pointed out you need it to dive with you in order to have your nitrogen loading and be useful for further dives.
As to using tables to calculate your loading from previous dives in order to plan later dives this can be problematic. On my first dive holiday I used an aqualand dive watch giving me a record of dive depth and time and as per most new divers simply followed the dive guide around (ie dived someone else's computer - something I'd never do now). Following the days diving I would fill in the log book and calculate the pressure groups. I gave up after the first couple of days as working out a square profile from a multilevel dive invariably meant that I was diving substantially off the tables. I'm still around and I didn't get bent so I suppose no harm, no foul.
I suppose it would be rude of me not to answer the original question after my point about extra computers. In my opinion I'd call the dives and miss an 18 hour window, put it down to ship happens and then look at options available, either rental computer or tables. My preference would be a computer as the reason I dive one is to increase bottom times and simplify my diving.

We all have a backup zoop in our bc pocket to backup our Cobalt primary. Take the daily cost of airfare and accommodation and it isn't that expensive anymore to get a backup so you don't lose a day of dive vacation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
That's why I always have backup computer on every dive. Its not so much to save the dive (although it could) its to save the dive day/trip.

Any other piece of failed gear can be replaced, swapped, borrowed or rented. Many dive boats carry spare gear and you might not even loose a single dive let say if you reg goes belly up. If you don't have a backup computer, you are going to have to sit out some dives one way or another. It really sucks on vacation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom