What would you do if a Great White started circling you and were far from the boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

that it was Al Giddings that left a cage and tested his theory that sharks would "run" from him if he moved towards them aggressively. He found that he could quite easily keep one great white away and could manage two great whites. He tried ith some sucess at keeping three sharks away from him but quickly gave up as it was too difficult to keep track of three at one time.
It was fascinating video to watch.

jbd once bubbled...
that it was Al Giddings that left a cage and tested his theory that sharks would "run" from him if he moved towards them aggressively. He found that he could quite easily keep one great white away and could manage two great whites. He tried ith some sucess at keeping three sharks away from him but quickly gave up as it was too difficult to keep track of three at one time.
It was fascinating video to watch.

Do you know where I can find this video?

Jackknife once bubbled...

Do you know where I can find this video?

That segment with Giddings and the Great Whites appeared in a TV Series named "Ocean Quest" Where to get a set, I don't know

Barracuda2

the Giddings video on one of the Discovery channels or something similar to that. Most of those channels have websites and sell the tapes of the programs they air.

Would any of you actually have the cajoneees to swim towards the white shark aggressively like Al Giddings has done which appears to have worked, imagine doing that with more than one shark in the wa wa?:wacko:

I've been in the water with whitey while diving and while windsurfing. I'd prefer to be in with him diving. We aren't on the menu down on the bottom. We sure are up on the surface. Surfers are at the greatest risk I believe.

I've seen, that would seem to be the best course of action. Who knows how any of us would react under the same circumstances.

To read a really great, for real experience, with marine life do a search for threads by Rick Murchison involving a ball of fish.

trip report 7/8/01 by Rick Murchison. Definitely shows presence of mind.

.....and warhammer participated in that thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom