What would happen if...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ah ha! Apparently the TSA has reversed their policy in the last several months.

The entertaining part is that they now allow valveless cylinders as carry-on luggage, but not as checked baggage...of course this is better than the flat-out ban.

TSA

All the best, James

fdog:
Ah ha! Apparently the TSA has reversed their policy in the last several months.

The entertaining part is that they now allow valveless cylinders as carry-on luggage, but not as checked baggage...of course this is better than the flat-out ban.

TSA

All the best, James

Cool... Do you put your steel 120 under the seat in front of you (where it doesn't fit) or in the overhead compartment (where the key word is "over head")

I know - it is for your spare air but sheesh....

I'm glad I fly out of Canada

I have had burst disks burst on C02 canisters before, and let me tell you, that is not a pretty sight. The tank was sitting next to me in the truck, and it completly killed my hearing and filled the cab with vapor. I can imagine that a scuba tank would be the same noise without the cloud of vapor.

Thanks guys,

The idea that it may in part be due to not knowing what was inside the tank (could be poisonous gas) makes sense.

I get that the change in pressure isn't going to add any risk of explosion - but tanks do explode albeit rarely. I have seen the aftermath and wouldn't want that to happen on a plane!

You can fly with scuba tanks in some parts of the world with valves attached. I have yet had to take my valves off my Rebreather tanks but I'm mostly flying around Asia and Micronesia. Ive just been asked to open the valves and show that they are empty (I usually leave a few bar in them so they can hear it diminish)

Have any of you watched the baggage handlers at an airport? I realize it would be a rare occurance in most circumstances, but what type of projectile would a tank become at say 3500 PSI if the valve was suddenly sheared off in the luggage hold of a modern jet airplane? I am kind of suprised that they would allow a tank with the valve off as carry on anyway. I think a 15 CF tank with the valve reattached and a reg mounted would make a pretty deadly weapon.

You don't want to know what a tank filled to 3500psi would do if the valve was sheared off. I have never seen a scuba tank but have seen video of cutting torch tanks taking off, not a pretty site.
This is also the reason that when I put a tank in the back of my truck the valve is towards the cab. If someone rear ends me they will eat the tank and not me.

So is it official that TSA has let up on the tank issue? I know this was never an issue over seas but a big one in the US.

crpntr133:
So is it official that TSA has let up on the tank issue? I know this was never an issue over seas but a big one in the US.
Carry-on only with valve out.
At least now people can take rebreather bottles with them. For full-size tanks the issue was not as critical, since normally those can be rented @ destination.

Back
Top Bottom