What would be a good set up for someone new to this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crimsontide

Reaction score
What type of camera and accessories? say they only had a max of 400 to spend. I know there are several, but which is easiest to use.

CrimsonTide

Are you looking for Digital or 35mm? That is one question you need to answer, 35mm has the ongoing cost of film, batteries and processing, it add ups quickly. Digital, you need someplace to store your images after you take them, and lots of batteries. In the price range you have mentioned there is the Reefmaster, (digital and 35mm) along with a couple other brands, you might also want to try used.

email me if you have any questions. Hope this helps. But with that budget you are a bit constrained.

well with that price range i would suggest going film even though i can tell you you get totoally better pictures and more life out of digital , but there again cost is major facture
with the cost range you suggested I would suggest a reefmaster by sealife get the pro out fit with strobe and macros set
remember the three basics in U/W water photo's
get close
get low
shoot up
depending on time fram you can find them new and used on ebay and even some of us have them for sale
I.E like me who just upgraded to digital

Rechargeable NiMH batteries are the only way to go! They have thousands of cycles of life, are reasonable priced and you are not clogging the environment with dead batteries.

A good Smart charger and 8 AA batteries is less than $30.

a little more research on this. I would love to get digital, but don't think I can swing that just yet. Hopefully I'll be able to get something soon. We are going to the DR in May. I would like to have some sort of camera by then. If I do I will post the pics.

CrimsonTide

With some internet shopping, you should be able to get the Canon A40 and the housing for right around $400. Add in a memory card and rechargable batteries/charger and you're talking $500.

You'll save at least $100 from film and developing costs, and trust me... being able to see the pictures while 'what you did' is still fresh in your mind makes you a better photographer rather quickly. With film, what you did to get a certain shot'll be hard to remember when you get the film back.

Some people might feel differently about film, but I know personallly I would never get around to getting the film developed...

Spectre once bubbled...
being able to see the pictures while 'what you did' is still fresh in your mind makes you a better photographer rather quickly.

I never thought about that. I just bought a regular camera, and I was kinda wondering "how the heck am I going to remember what I did?"

I think I'm going to have to make notes on my dive slate or something, or I'll never remember!

Spectre once bubbled...
With some internet shopping, you should be able to get the Canon A40 and the housing for right around $400. Add in a memory card and rechargable batteries/charger and you're talking $500./B]

I have a digital now, but have no idea if I can get a housing for it or the cost. If I can and it is reasonable I may go that route. If not maybe I can sell it and get one that I can use for U/W photos also. Thanks to all for the great info.

CrimsonTide

Crimsontide once bubbled...

I have a digital now, but have no idea if I can get a housing for it or the cost. If I can and it is reasonable I may go that route. If not maybe I can sell it and get one that I can use for U/W photos also. Thanks to all for the great info.

CrimsonTide

Which digital do you have? You can go to DigiDeep to see if there is a housing made for your camera and the information about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom