What workbook?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

atldavek

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have been looking here for a while and have decided to get certified.

What is the Padi go dive book I need for open water, can't seem to find,
I want to read it first so I can be better prepared for the class.
Thanks!

Go to your local dive shop, they will sell you the right workbook/CD package.

atldavek, you should be able to go to your shop of choice, sign up for the class, schedule your classroom and pool weekend, than your OW dive weekend, pick up all your materials and than study before class time, this is usually included in the price of the class. Usually they want you to read the book and do all the knowledge reviews BEFORE your first class.

Yep, Warnberg is right if you want more time just schedule the class farther out. However if you buy one from a dive shop and go back later SOME shops will credit you back your money when you schedule you classes.
I would get the coarse and schedule it out a ways if I thought I needed extra time.

Hi everyone! I have been looking here for a while and have decided to get certified.

What is the Padi go dive book I need for open water, can't seem to find,
I want to read it first so I can be better prepared for the class.
Thanks!

you get the book and DVD at a dive shop. Some will let you buy it without registering for class. The big thing is you MUST buy the book and DVD in advance of the course, read the entire book and do all the Knowledge reviews prior to the first class. Classes are taught differently now than what you probably think. The material is not "taught" in class, you are supposed to be completely familiar with all the material before your first class session. Class time is spent going over the info and taking tests. Yes, there are always a few duffusses who show up the first day and haven't even opened the book. They slow the class down and waste time, some instructors don't even allow them to stay in class. PADI's philosphy now is that all classes are "prescriptive" teaching which means the classrooms are just Review and Test.

Get the book and DVD asap(the new video is really much better than the old one I got when certified). You will learn alot just by watching the video, then start working on the book and it will go easy up until the dive tables section. Most people can't learn that on their own (some who are good at math can). When you get to the classroom sessions, your instructor will be spending time going over this whole process of dive tables and planning.

hope this helps explain the process!

robin:D

Usually they want you to read the book and do all the knowledge reviews BEFORE your first class.

Usually? :confused:
No, they "expect" you to read the book and have all the knowledge reviews done by the first class. The problem is some never even look at the book until they get to their first class. The classes aren't designed for that. :no: You'll never be able to read all the material in time if you wait until the last minute.

altdavek,
You have right idea. You can purchase the crew pak for the begining OW class from your LDS without having to commit to a specific start date. Ask them for the schedule of classes when you buy your crew pak and you can decide later which date and time is best for you. This will also give you time to get the necessary equipment you'll need that may not be furnished by the LDS like....mask, fins. snorkle, weight belt, etc...

The part that people seem to have the most difficulty in is understanding the "Tables". When you come to that part in the book there should be a small instructional booklet included in the box along with a laminated Table chart. It will take you step by step until you've done the whole process. Repeat the steps until you don't need to refer to the instructions. It's "very" easy.

Once you're thoroughly familiar with the material sign up for a class. You'll be able to pick out who in your class hasn't prepared. It's not just fun it's "Life Sustaining". So take it seriously but have fun while you're doing it. :)

Thanks so much for all the information. What I forgot to say Is I am heading down to Key west and am going to take class there, I also do not have a local dive shop, closest one in 1.5 hours away. Is there some place online I can order the book, I already have the DVD. I thought I had ordered the right one from leisure pro but I got the dang one to become A DIVE MASTER!
Thanks so much

I wouldn't get it there, I would get it from the dive shop. It may not be a current version PLUS many dive shops have it included in the price of the class and will NOT give you a discount if you already have a book. (this is the rule at our local LDS because of the PADI rule that every student must own their own book.)
You may end up paying for it twice.

There is also a CD Rom version you can get at the dive shop - some people like it better as the videos are loaded onto it and they can sit at computer and watch them rather than using a DVD player and tv.

You can also do the OW theory online, go to PADI.COM and look for e-learning. It accredited to your certification.

Back
Top Bottom