What wetsuit to wear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDuane

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I'm planning my first trip to the Bahamas in mid January. What wetsuit should I wear? Is 3mm OK

Thanks

I just returned from Jamaica. The water temperature was 84-86 F according to my computer. I did one dive with a swimsuit and t-shirt. I was okay during the dive, but cool after I surfaced. I borrowed a 3 mm shorty afterwards and it was just right.

Duane, one factor to consider is how many dives you will be doing each day. In order to stay warm for dives 2, 3, etc, or throughout several days of diving, I suggest a 3mm or 5mm suit.

In January, the water temp in the Bahamas is usually between 70 and 75 degrees. This is nice but will chill you without an appropriate exposure suit.

If you already know the dive shop or resort you'll be diving with then they might also be able to give you info on the current conditions as you get closer to January.

Cheers

Duane, it depends on your cold sensitivity, but the water temp in the Bahamas in January is about 72, which can be chilly when you're immersed in it for any time. I was there in March last year; the temp was 73 and the air about the same and windy. I *froze* in my 3-mil, so much that I almost bagged the second dive. We're going next January too, and I'll be wearing a vest with my 3-mil, or maybe I'll spring for a 5-mil.
Of course, people vary a lot in cold sensitivity; I don't have a lot of bioprene and I do feel the cold. YMMV.

Deborah

my wife and i dove in Jan a couple years ago on and we dove with 3mm shorties and even with the wind we were comfty, but we are also used to doing multiple dives in cold water in michigan.

I was there in June and wore a 3 mm shorty. I only did 2 dives and was fine. This time of year you may want a full 3 mm.
Like a few others said, it depends on your cold sensitivity and how many dives you're going to do over each day. Good Luck.

Okay, I have a full 3 or a full 7. I dive the CA north coast in the 7, so it seems like it would be way too warm (46 - 55 degrees). Maybe I'll wear a 2mm shortie under my 3mm full. what do you all think?

... that it's hard to say!

Diver Duane,

I would need at least a full seven to survive 70 degree water, much less 55! If you're diving a 7 in that Northern California drink, I'd think you could wear a skin packed with dry ice in 70 :D

But, seriously, the full 3-shorty arrangement ought to work for you, though the bottom line is that every person's thermal protection needs are unique.

Regards,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom