What wet suit...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi...I am new to diving and want to invest in a 5mm wetsuit. I was looking at getting either a Bare or Henderson and was wondering if anybody had any views/preferences. It would be great if you could let me know...Thanks

big price difference between the two. the henderson def is the better brand if you can afford it.

I have a 3mm Bare velocity full suit as well as the shorty. It has performed very well. I have not owned Henderson but before I ordered Bare, I also looked into Henderson in dive stores. I found Bare to be a much better fit on my body. Every physique is different so that may not be the case for someone else. I think in wetsuits fit is more important than brand name. If you choose to go for non stretch neoprene (believed to be superior to stretcheable neoprene) then fit becomes more crucial. I am personally a fan of stretch material because it tends to give a better fit. These suits are believed to become useless after repeated number of deep dives (pressure acting on them) but that has not been the case with my bare suit because I dont dive as often. Since they are really cheap (close to a 100$ for 3mm) if they loose their snug after 30 - 40 dives, I would be happy to throw them away and buy another one.

If I was making the purchase I would go with Bare :)

I can't comment on the Bare suits - never dived one.

Henderson suits are well-recognized and well-respected. Their primary marketing angle was originally a "super-stretchy" type of neoprene known as "Hyperstretch." Making suits out of the material meant that a wetsuit tended to provide a better fit to the diver - the key in reducing water exchange and thus warmth.

Unfortunately, super-stretchy neoprene isn't without it's downsides - the material tends to wear out quickly (because it's so soft) and crush more than "standard" neoprene at depth... So a lot of people found themselves having to get a slightly thicker suit to compensate, which added cost, weighting requirements, etc. and reducing the benefits of the stretchy neoprene (thicker = less flexible).

Today, many companies utilize the same type of neoprene, so it's no longer a Henderson-specific characteristic. In fact, many companies use a variety of different "grades" of stretch, so that the suit can tend to be very stretchy where it needs to be and more durable or crush-resistant in places where it can be.

One thing that I've noticed about the Hendersons is that, because the company has historically depended on their Hyperstretch neoprene to provide a good fit to the diver, they have deprioritized the "cut" of the suit. Consequently, I find a poor fit in the suit, but if I go down one size, it stretches where it needs to stretch and I end up with a decent fit. I'm not a fan of this, as clearly the suit would wear quickly because it has to stretch over my frame to become watertight.

...Which is why I dive exclusively O'Neill wetsuits. Arguably the inventor of the wetsuit, Jack O'Neill has been around for almost 50 years now, and remembers a time when a suit's ability to retain warmth was solely dependent on the suit's fit. Early on, the company developed methods of making seams rounded instead of straight so as to fit the diver's curves better.

Recently, the company has added differing degrees of stretchy neoprene to their latest batch of their high-line "Sector" suits. They are available in a variety of high-end dive shops, but I buy mine exclusively from Dennis at Austin's Dive Center in Miami, FL. I find that the fit of these suits is second to none, and now that they've added some stretch to key panels, they're unbeatable.

I have also heard good things about Pinnacle brand suits, but also haven't dived one, so I can't report from personal experience.

I have owned Bare and Henderson. Either suit is a good choice. Having said that, in my experience different manufacturers cut suits slightly different. given two similarly sized suits, one may actually fit better than the other, and in wetsuits fit has to be the first consideration. to use one of the other commenters example, i recently tried on an xcel suit and an oneil suit. In one, i needed a 2xl and in the other a 3xl. both fit well, but they fit differently. still have not made up my mind.

Providing a good fit and from a good price point and quality, I would go with the BARE Elastek suit. The Elastek suits are comfortable and have Seals in the arms & legs to minimize water flow into the suit. They also have thin rubber around the neck and a rubber dampener behind the zipper when zipped up to minimize water flow as well.
We also do Henderson H2! More pricey but in all defense, they did make some great improvements to the suit. No more pilling, zipper pad to minimize water flow and also has lower lumbar support, wider ankle opening to get feet in, but also has a flap that allows you to tighten up. We are updating our pricing so we should have them on our site shortly.

Most of our customers have been going with the Bare Elastek, mainly because of Quality & Price, most bang for your buck. We have the 5mm In Stock!

Men's -5mm ElastekFull *Buy BARE at DIVESEEKERS.COM 888-SCUBA-47

Women's-5mm Elastek Full *Buy BARE at DIVESEEKERS.COM 888-SCUBA-47

The Bare arctic combo, 7mm full w/ 7mm overshorty an attached hood, paid like $275 I think... very happy with it , holding together great... good value for the money, dont spend more than you have too for the benefit of a brand name.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom