What were Monterey conditions like 10-15 years ago?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FWIW, in La Jolla we have seen dramatic changes as well: when I arrived in 2013, LJ Cove featured a very thick kelp forest; thick enough to get tangled in, darken the sky etc etc, and easily seen from the surface. Total collapse in 2015-2016, loss of 100% of the surface cover. Saw an increase in urchins/disappearance of starfish at the time but perhaps not to the degree of urchin barrens you're seeing in Norcal. The kelp forest has somewhat recovered since then. Reports are that the kelp is "back" (I haven't been recently), but nowhere near the density in 2013 and previous. This year the water has been very cold at depth (47-52 deg), which has contributed to the growback. There is still no real surface cover to speak of.

Less concerned about urchins/starfish as that appears to be part of documented cycle, much more concerned about sargassum hornerii, which has destroyed much of parts of the Channel Islands kelp forests, particularly Catalina. If that takes hold on the mainland of SoCal it might be a catastrophic regime change.

80s are great too! I'm super curious about conditions from the past.

Wow!!!!! @stilldivin that was incredible! I loved your video, it's so lush with life! So many sea stars, giant spined, batstars etc. The conditions were beautiful. Do you happen to remember if back in the 80s it was as stormy as it's been the last year and a half?

Back
Top Bottom