What was it like buying your first dry suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive a DUI. My one and only criteria was finding a DS that fit, so it was pure custom. That limited my selection, and my source as I had to go and be measured. I did pass on either a relief zipper or a pee valve as I was financially hit hard (DS, Back Inflate BC, Soft Weights, Hood, Turtle Fins, Rock Boots, and Undies all at once). Zip seals weren't around then, and I stayed with wet gloves....

That really hurt at that time. Thankfully, the US dollar was strong against the Canadian dollar then, and there was no GST or PST included either (he he).

I purchased a (very slightly) used Fusion Bullet from DRIS and had them add the silicone seals. I'm on the very top end of the SM/MD size chart, and the bottom end of the LG/XL chart. I got the LG/XL and even with the extra room it never feels like a giant plastic bag (as opposed to the Hollis I was trained in).

The silicone neck seal will hamper mobility a bit due to the retaining ring, and it has received a few four letter words - but when I over-trimmed the seal the first go around I was able to change it out in under 5 minutes and still make the dive. Plus they're endlessly more comfortable than their latex brethren. I do notice, however, that since my wrist seals were installed aftermarket, the outer skin doesn't attach to the ends the same as it does with a factory job.

Front Zip is a huge plus - I was on shore last week and was the only person able to fully don the suit without assistance. In once case the guy had two others helping him in.

I purchased a set of dry gloves for mine - probably the best investment next to the suit itself. The Si-Tech quick lock system can be confusing to install, but the ability to pop off your gloves and get first dibs on munchies is invaluable. The warmth is nice, too. There is a bulk factor to consider with the plastic wrist rings - but you learn to work around them.

Fins were my biggest challenge - no LDS seemed to carry ones with foot pockets big enough for rock boots. Keep this in mind and be prepared to either buy oversized wetsuit booties or a good set of power fins (I have the Hollis F1's and love them)

Looking back - I likely would have purchased one size smaller, even though I have no issues as it is now, and making sure that silicone seals were factory installed (at least for a fusion). As it sits, the ONLY other suit I would consider at the present time is the DUI Public Safety TLS, and that's purely out of envy since a dive buddy just got one in orange (I have a thing for orange stuff).

If you're looking to save a couple of bucks - I dove Ross undergarments for a while (poly winter workout pants for $7!) and chopped the extra off a $20 wetsuit hood. Avoid cotton like the plague and spend your money on good base layers. Having said that, when I stepped up to a Thermal Fusion UG there was quite a difference in warmth.

Last edited:
I got my Bare Crushed Neoprene drysuit and the Bare underwear together when there was a sale: buy drysuit, get underwear free.

I do find that I have reduced flexibility in it, but am soooo warm.

No regrets. So far, no real problems. I also went with the dry gloves too. Not regretting that too.

Cost me about $1500

I dive the Bare SB drysuit. I am tall and on the lanky side so legs and arms had to be extended. Minus the lack of pockets, after two years (and reasonable care), it has kept me warm (with their layers) and most happy. I researched it first on line, and through my local dive shop, who was a "BARE Distributor" (though had no idea about this suit) was measured, ordered, and supplied with an incredible front entry drysuit. Would I take it to the arctic circle, or an oil slick?; a hearty NO! But waters to 40 degrees ferinheght in recreational conditions? Hell yeah!! My "custom" suit fits my length great without adding a belly I don't have. The seals have never leaked. And the durability has yet to be questioned. My suit is always the lightest and the most flexible of any of my diving buddies. And, on top of everything else, I have the benefit of a front-entry zipper. Please note that the only thing/experience I have to compare to is (the same shop that sold me my Bare <and the owner took it to Canada and returned it with positive comments> is a Whites distributor which is what I was trained and certified with (I will NEVER return to a back-zip again!!!) If you have more questions about my own (and only my own) experience, please do not hesitate to reply (or anyone else).

I purchased a DUI CLX used from a fellow SBer. The suit arrived in excellent shape with all the bells and whistles (zip seals, spare neck seal, p-valve, dual pockets, front zip, fins, rock boots, etc... Exactly what I wanted, for about 1/3rd the price.

Because it was sized for someone slightly taller, I did have significant floaty feet (I have shorter legs). I had to spend $50 for some gators to correct that. The telescopic torso corrected the rest.

I like the zip seals and the p-valve (being older I use it often). I had a couple of leaks (user error on not zipping 100% as I am a solo diver). The suit is rock solid and I understand this is why the things are so dang expensive. Its tough and takes some abuse. I like the zip seals for DIY replacement and the front zip is required for solo divers.

My only real gripe is bulk. The DUI combined with the over sized fins is a bitch to haul on the airlines. I can pack a 7MM suit + dive gear + some cloths in 50lbs plus a carry on. With the DUI combo I have 2 bags to check. If I did did it again, I would look at the White fusion just to reduce the bulk since I travel for most of my dives. Still, I expect to get 10 years out of this one.

bought mine off ebay for $200. Scubapro front entry and it's not caused me a bit of trouble. it looked almost unused seals are good had it for 2 years now and it's nice being warm.

I just bouth mine used with a used tank for 250$. I need to change the neoprene neck seal. For that price I can aford a few changes!

Can't wait to dive whit it.

I started with a semi custom OS Systems suit. Front entry, relief zipper, and it worked for 6 years. Then it shrank around the middle. I sold it for over $600 bucks and bought my HOG suit. The OS suit did not have a telescoping torso like the HOG and the difference in donning was huge. I also like the diagonal zipper instead of the one across the front that the OS suit had. I have a shoulder injury and the horizontal zip got very difficult to use.

I did not compromise on features or quality with either. It's not worth it to do so. I got just what I wanted and needed. And with so many out there now you don't have to and you can still get a good deal. I will buy a second one to replace my 5 mil this year or next year. But I'm going to get the Edge suit since I know how it fits and I don't need the extra features the HOG suit has just for OW dives. Wrecks and such I'll use the HOG. But for OW dives and classes I'll use the Edge.

And I learned with the OS suit that I got with only one pocket that it's not a good idea to do that. Two pockets and a pee valve are a must. I will not waste money on a relief zipper though. The one on the OS came to be known affectionately as the bear trap. Only a bear wasn't what it was biting into when trying to use it!

I bought a used Bare XCD2 tech (front entry). Good price. Sent it to bare to have the boots replaced with larger boots. They tested it and told me that the zipper was shot - and they replaced the zipper. I also had them replace the neck seal with a neo instead of the latex. Between what I paid and the repairs, upgrades - it was still worth it compared to new.

I probably have close to 200 dives on it and it has been bulletproof. Fits perfect - dives great. I love it and I hope it lasts me forever!

If I replaced it, I would probably get the same exact thing!

When you were buying your first and next dry suits, what compromises (on features, age of the suit, etc) did you have to make to afford one?

Were the compromises worthwhile, that is, if you could go back, would you still make them or would get a more expensive model?

Overall, my question tries to explore if you were happy with your first dry suit and what made you want to upgrade? Perhaps, your first dry suit was not overly expensive, but was it nevertheless a good choice?

I didn't make any compromises. I got a new version of the cheapest suit I could find that looked like it would be a good piece of equipment. I got the Edge dry suit and have loved it passionately ever since. I read lots of comments about dry suits on SB, and I think I lucked out with a winner the first time out. I'd buy another one without hesitation. Yes, it is the most expensive single piece of gear I have (by a considerable margin), and it's probably also -- dollar for dollar -- the best gear money I've ever spent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom