what vehicle to rent since CC does not cover trucks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wwguy - thanks, but that only applies for Americans.
oldbear - thanks for sharing. Glad your story worked out well. Good general tips.

I tend to err on the side of caution. I have additional coverage at home which covers rental cars in Canada and the USA, have coverage through various credit cards, and rental car coverage that does NOT exclude any type of vehicle through BCAA (CAA in rest of Canada or AAA in US) travel insurance (I checked policy). However, if that means increased deductibles and/or deposits or paying up front and waiting to be reimbursed, then that would certainly not be worth waiving the insurance. On the flip side, one also has to read and understand the coverage being offered by the rental car agency, because as soon as you agree to theirs, all others are null and void. I can't say that I always feel that confident about rental agencies (speaking in general, not Bonaire specific), so I prefer to avoid renting a car in foreign countries, where possible. In Bonaire, not possible. We'll probably just pay the extra for the convenience of renting a truck and using an accepted card.

Get the insurance from the rental outfit and get a truck..Much better in many ways, and if you go to the park up north (I recommend it!) it will be helpful.

Get the insurance from the rental outfit and get a truck..Much better in many ways, and if you go to the park up north (I recommend it!) it will be helpful.

+1. I usually rely on CC insurance for CDW and my personal auto insurance for Liability. In addition to CC not covering CDW for trucks, I found my personal auto insurance didn't cover liability in Bonaire.

AB Rental has a 2wd SUV for divers, Group 5. It's Chinese made but serviceable. It'll work for 4 divers although a pick up is definitely better. I've used them 3 times, but only for 2 or 3 divers at a time. I just take plastic trash bags to cover the seats.
Their CDW insurance covers almost everything.

Last edited:
AB Rental has a 2wd SUV for divers, Group 5. It's Chinese made but serviceable. It'll work for 4 divers although a pick up is definitely better. I've used them 3 times, but only for 2 or 3 divers at a time. I just take plastic trash bags to cover the seats.
Their CC insurance covers almost everything.

Did you mean "CDW insurance" instead of "CC insurance"?

AB's web site is pretty clear about their position on CC insurance. In the quote below the bold font was added by AB.

Important:

Please note that credit card insurances generally do not cover pick-up trucks. Unless the renter knows for certain that his/her credit card covers pick-up trucks, please assume otherwise.

If the renter declines to purchase our insurance, any damage must be paid in full before leaving the island.

The renter is responsible for claims regarding his/her insurance company.
In all cases, a police report must be drawn up. Without a police report, the renter will be held fully liable for any damage to the rental vehicle.

If damage to the rental vehicle has occurred in a collision not by fault of the renter, liability depends on the insurance of the third party. In the event that the third party is not insured or cannot be held liable, the renter will be held liable for any damage to the rental vehicle or to their purchased insurance deductible.

AB Car Rental may require coverage until the matter is settled with the third party.

Nice catch, thanks. Post corrected.

Actually, their CDW insurance does NOT cover everything. Check out their insurance page with the grid. However, for $19 p/day their optional FULL insurance covers it all and brings the deductible to zero. Although this and all the taxes just about doubles the base rate, I think this is what we will do. Better safe than sorry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom