What Undergarment for DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Derek S..... you flooded your suit and did not notice it? AND you were hypothermic and did not notice that either? I don't the a different undersuit is the answer. JMO.

I went ahead and purchased an undergarment that has thinsulate. I just hope it is not 1/2" thick!

BlueDolphin:
Derek S..... you flooded your suit and did not notice it? AND you were hypothermic and did not notice that either? I don't the a different undersuit is the answer. JMO.

I went ahead and purchased an undergarment that has thinsulate. I just hope it is not 1/2" thick!

I knew that water was getting in, I just wasn't sure how much until the dive was over. I felt cold, but not so much wet per se. Yes, hypothermia effects divers differently. I was under the impression that everything was fine, but it obviously wasn't.

Thinsulate keeps it's thermal protection even when wet, fleece doesn't.

You're asking this question in a DIR forum, so you're getting a DIR answer. If you don't want to dive a thick Thinsulate undergarment, that's fine, but keep in mind that it may not offer adequate thermal protection, and it may or may not be DIR.

Over time, Thinsulate undies do become somewhat "compressed". I was told by Bob Sherwood in my Fundies class that he uses new C400 as his "winter" undies and old C400 that has "compressed" as "summer" undies.

YMMV.

FWIW, 200gm Thinsulate with an inner layer of fleece barely keeps me warm when the water dips to about 40. Not sure what the water temps are like around you, but I wouldn't expect a whole lot from 100gm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom