What Undergarment for DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From Dress for Success:

Be very wary of high loft suits. They can cause air trapping in a dry suit, which will in turn cause buoyancy concerns, along with unnecessary dynamic and unstable air movement. The best choices are custom made low loft, high CLO underwear made of a stretch material such as the Extreme Stretch Thinsulate available from Diving Concepts, DUI and a few other manufacturers.

My 400 thinsulate can keep me from freezing when wet.
My fleece is a cold mutha when wet.

Tavi:
What is the reasoning for this??

I believe: less loft, less buoyancy swing, less weight to wear, and loses less insulative properties and less buoyancy when flooded.

Freaking expensive though.

Ok... now EVERYONE post a pic IN THIS thread of you wearing your undergarments... :D Well.... ok just those of you who wear bikini's.... pink or otherwise :p

lol

Besides the DC undergarments (I think that for $500 they ought be spanked for putting out a suit that loses its stitching - that stuff REALLY bugs me). and DUI, who else has thinsulate suits?

lamont:
I believe: less loft, less buoyancy swing, less weight to wear, and loses less insulative properties and less buoyancy when flooded.

Freaking expensive though.

Not to mention that the thinsulate is much warmer than polartec.

Thinsulate 200g or 400g would be the way to go (those stretch undies are awesome, although you lose a little on warmth compared to the 400g). Fleece doesnt cut it, especially in 40 degree water, at least not for me...

I have a single layer OS System super stretchy fleece undergarment. It is amazingly comfortable. However I need a two layer suit. I am just wondering if I should pop $300 for their double layer jumpsuit (it has an awsome form fit and is extremely comfortable), or if I should be looking at a thinsulate suit.

The nylon shell undergarments look to be way too bulky and without enough mobility. I am used to an undergarment that fits like a glove and stretches with my every move.

I don't want a bulky undersuit.

Lubold... what "stretch undies" are you referring? Are the 200g thinsulate suits stretchy?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom