What to wear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ParamedicDiver1

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well, I am finally going to dive the Flower Gardens...got a question for ya'll. What sort of wet suit do ya recommend? I usually dive in a 3mm Shorty, would that work? Thanks!! :D

i just got back from our first trip to FG last week!!! husband wears a 3/2 full suit and i wear a 3mil ful suit. most people wore full suits. some of the ones in shorties got some jelly stings. nothing serious, but there are lots of little stingy things in the water so protection is good. the water temp was a nice 82 degrees, so choose your thickness accordingly. i'm a cold natured person and would never get hot in my 3mil anywhere and was perfectly comfortable for all seven dives. hope this helps.

I would wear at least a 3mil full suit as was mentioned there are lots of little stingy things in the water there.

Full 3mm. It's not uncommon for me to get chilled on the night dive. Its the 5th dive of the day and the water has already sapped plenty of energy.

TwoBit

I've never been to the FG's yet. But, when I dove an off shore oil rig 50 miles out the water temp was 78deg and I had to choose between my 5mm shortie and my 5mm full suit I chose my shortie. Another experienced rig diver sugested wearing blue jeans over my shortie to protect my legs. Worked great and made a quite the fashion statement!

I'd go 3 mm... I did a "naked" dive on the fourth dive of the day on the East Bank (or west bank, I can never remember) and I felt fine, but there's always the little dime sized jelly fish that hang out around 10 feet while you hang for that safety stop. Best advice I would say is 3mm or dive skin.

Back
Top Bottom