What to wear under wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are they tough or loony?!?!?! :errrr:

That combination is the very definition of "canadian" no?

The way I understand it is that the more stuff you put on underneath a wetsuit like skins etc. the further away from your skin the actual neoprene will (the material that is responsible for keeping you warm). So by putting more stuff on that has no thermal quality between you and the suit will mean more water between you and the suit to warm up. Even interior lining has this affect to some degree.
I have two skin-in suits that I wear in mid to upper 40 degree water and the warmest I can be is to put them on with nothing underneath (commando).
Both my suits are custom made and fit perfectly.
If a suit has room and the arms and legs are loose there is nothing you can do to stay warm. You will be contantly pumping cold water throughout the suit and the water that gets in will never get a chance to warm up.
It also helps to keep a squirt bottle of suit lube in a sealed 5 gallon bucket of hot water. Then when you get to the dive site you can take some of the water and warm the suit up then lube it up with nice warm suit lube.

Hi guys,

I'm wondering what divers are wearing under wetsuits for addition warmth?

Someone suggested wool socks helps keep feet warmer in cold water.

As it was mentioned in previous posts if you are cold in your current setup, it could be from various reasons.

a few weekends ago I dove the Morrison in a 7mm and the water temp was in the low 50's and I was nice and warm, my hands were a little cold because I was wearing 3mm gloves ( I forgot my 5mm at home :depressed:) but otherwise no problem.

I have seen people double up Wetsuits ( 2x 3mm or 1x 3mm shorty + 3mm full) but most of the time if someone wears something under the wetsuit it's more to help get the suit on/off than added warmth.

A farmer John setup might be good in your case too because it gives you a 14mm core (2x7mm) while your arms and legs are 7mm.

Semi Dry is an other option but more costly than a traditional wetsuit but not as much as a Drysuit. Aqualung and BARE make some nice 8mm Versions.

Cheers

Kunundrum

Kunundrum:

Nice to see a local diver on here! Water temps in the low 50's is no problem with my current one peice suit as it fits me very well (snug). Big bay point at depth is in the low 40's now and I'm starting to feel the chill a bit after two dives. I went with the shorty john with hood (7mm Bare Velocity) to double up on the core. I can't fork out cash for a dry suit this year so this will have to do until then.

I have noticed people wearing thin skins under the suits to help get them on and off - I personally haven't had any problems with my one peice so far.

How was your dive on the Morrison? Decent vis for you?

Kunundrum:

Nice to see a local diver on here! Water temps in the low 50's is no problem with my current one peice suit as it fits me very well (snug). Big bay point at depth is in the low 40's now and I'm starting to feel the chill a bit after two dives. I went with the shorty john with hood (7mm Bare Velocity) to double up on the core. I can't fork out cash for a dry suit this year so this will have to do until then.

I have noticed people wearing thin skins under the suits to help get them on and off - I personally haven't had any problems with my one peice so far.

How was your dive on the Morrison? Decent vis for you?

The Morrison had ok vis but better than average probably 15-20' though its usually better as it gets colder.

If a Drysuit is not in the cards you might want to look at Semi Dry, Both aqualung and Bare offer a 8mm Semi-dry, and if you are lucky enough to fit of the rack sizing this may be the best cost effective solution.

Aqua Lung - Professional Diving Equipment

BARE Scuba Diving - Canada

More than a traditional Wetsuit but less than a Dry suit.

If your only concern are cold feet when using a wetsuit, just get better/thicker wetsuit booties. Typically you loose heat through your head (wear a hood) and/or your torso (wear a vest, preferably hooded).

The only other thing that I always wear under a wetsuit is a lycra skin which greatly aids putting on, taking off. and adjustment.

Thanks

I live in the Okanagan Valley in Canada and dive in Okanagan lake in the winter...did over 20 dives last year in 34 degree water in a pinnacle escape 7mm wetsuit...so if anybody needs to get a drysuit I think it's time!!! I have tried wearing merino wool socks in the boots...seems to help and merino underwear under the suit also helps. I think ultimately a drysuit in these frigid conditions would be the best solution...YES US CANADIANS ARE TOUGH!!!

another way to keep a little warmer in a wetsuit in frigid waters is to pour hot water into the boots until they are full and then add hot water into the suit just before diving...this helps a LOT. I also have used a 6"x10" Thermopad strapped around my back at the kidney waist area under the suit. These stay very warm for the full length of the dive. I'm 56 years old and for me I've decided to buy a drysuit and am currently in the proicess of finding a good used neoprene suit

I bought some neoprene socks and a new pair of Bare 7mm soft sole booties that are a better size for my foot - seems to keep my feet much warmer. I also traded in my 5mm gloves (Whites) for a pair of Scubapro 5mm gloves. I found the kevlar palms on the Whites, although tough, constricted my fingers and caused them to get chilled quickly. I also bought a 2nd pair of the Scubapro gloves so I don't have to put on a wet/cold pair of gloves for the 2nd dive.

I held off buying the 7mm short john to go over top of my 7mm full wetsuit until April when I need it. I'm kinda glad because I was going to buy a 7mm Bare velocity but I had the chance to see the Bare Elastic at a LDS recently - much nicer feeling. Makes me wonder if I should buy a 5mm or 7mm short john to go over top? I'm also wondering if I should get a short john with a hood or not since I like my O'neil hood so much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom