What to wear under wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

clipperTT

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi guys,

I'm wondering what divers are wearing under wetsuits for addition warmth?

Someone suggested wool socks helps keep feet warmer in cold water.

I have never heard of wearing wool socks with a wetsuit. I do use a wool blend with my dry suit though.
Since the main concern is keeping the core warm I would suggest a vest, most divers will use a hood vest.
1355-7MM-X2-Hooded-Vest.jpg

You may want to look at a .5mm full piece.
1296-+Resize.jpg

or a hood short john
1344_excursion_5mm_black.jpg

These are all Body Glove products but I believe most manufactures would have similar.

Hair?

If your wetsuit isn't keeping you warm enough, one of two issues is causing the problem: either the suit doesn't provide enough insulation or the suit doesn't fit well and is pumping water in and out as you move. If you don't have enough insulation, adding a hood, glove or vest (in that order) may help, otherwise it's time for a new, heavier, suit. If the suit doesn't fit well, replacement is usually the only answer that works.

You're in the GFWN, a drysuit is probably the best answer for you. They can be expensive but there are HOG drysuits available for little more than a good wetsuit will cost. Once you go dry, you'll never go back.

Hi guys,

I'm wondering what divers are wearing under wetsuits for addition warmth?

Someone suggested wool socks helps keep feet warmer in cold water.
Wool DOES keep you warm even if its soaking wet, but Id rather get more/better wetsuit or a drysuit than starting to wear clothes under the wetsuit..

i wear neoprene socks inside my zippered booties - helps a lot. I would suggest a vest, and / or an oversuit top. I have a 7 mm O'Neill suit, and dive in cold water - like 39 fahrenheit, sometimes - works okay. Am planning to try a 2 mm shorty underneath it to see how much it helps.

Wow - I wear a drysuit in 70° water while these Canadians wear wetsuits in water a little above freezing.
My hat is off to all of you tough people.

My one peice 7mm was doing fine in 47 degree water with a hood and gloves. Now that the air temps are below freezing at night the water is getting cooler so I need a bit more to keep me warm. I ordered a Bare 7mm hood short john to layer over my existing suit since I found my arms and legs to be warm and didn't want to add too much extra bulk. I'll try the wool sock idea and see how that works later this week. This should do me just fine for the annual new years day dive!

Us Canadians are tough when it comes to cold.. :eek:)

Tom - thanks for the kudos, but we never said it was easy!! Even for a Canadian, it can feel a tad cool..... but I can't justify a drysuit yet, so will keep toughing it out... need to put another kid through university!!
Pete

Wow - I wear a drysuit in 70° water while these Canadians wear wetsuits in water a little above freezing.
My hat is off to all of you tough people.

Are they tough or loony?!?!?! :errrr:

:cold: :cold: :cold: :cold: :rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom