What to wear under the drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Firediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello, I just ordered my first drysuit. Abyss Explorer. I have it custom fit.... I don't have the money to by a uni fleece undergarment.. What could I wear instead?? Wool Sweater any good if it's snug?? Also would Flanel pants with long underwear <also quite snug> be good? Water temp here in the summer gets to be about 10-11 degrees and in the winter about 2 degrees.

Cotton or wool is not a good option, the synthetics are much better undergarments. Once they are wet/damp you will get cold faster. I have dove with a cotton sweatshirt and had a slight leak at one wrist seal. I was cold on that side.

Its recommended that you wear something that wicks the moisture and sweat away from your skin like polypropylene long underwear and PolarTec over that. Or what ever combination that keeps YOU warm for the conditions your diving. The good stuff is more money but will work better in the long run.

Try it with what you have and then see what works best for you.

Thanks. I do have a synthetic light weight undershirt from Mountain Equipment co-op and a sweat shift micro fleece from the same company. Should help.. Thanks for the help.

Would Flannel be any good??
Nope, flannel is just fuzzy cotton.
Go with the polypro under layer, after that you can get away with a wool-nylon blend if youv'e got it around.
As already mentioned, polypro is the material of choice (unless you have some of that high dollar Capilene stuff).
You can use cotton if the water gets to be around bath temperature.

200 wt PolarTec tops and pants for under $25 each...then put a moisture-wicking synthetic shirt (Duofold Varitec/HotChillys MTF/Under Armour/polypropylene/ etc.) underneath.

It's not as warm as 400g Thinsulate, but nowhere near the price, either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom