What to wear in Monterey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wear a Dry Suit. Are you crazy! The water there is rarely up to 60 degrees. A 3 Mil is totally unsuitable for a comfortable dive. Diving should be enjoyed, not endured! And it can be down right chilly on the surface. Other than that the diving is great!

BILLB once bubbled...
Wear a Dry Suit. Are you crazy! The water there is rarely up to 60 degrees. A 3 Mil is totally unsuitable for a comfortable dive. Diving should be enjoyed, not endured! And it can be down right chilly on the surface. Other than that the diving is great!
I'm not quite following you. A 3 Mil drysuit should be fine. I know people who regularly dive a 7 Mil. wetsuit which in my opinion is far less toasty than a 3 Mil. drysuit and they a just fine.

I dive Monterey regularly...wear a drysuit or 7mm wetsuit with hood or hooded vest. I checked my computer for the last 10 Monterey dives. Water temp was 48-55 degrees.

Oops!

I regret that I did not read the part about a 3 mil DRYSUIT! What fooled me is drysuits are usually not rated to how thick they are. Essentially if you are diving DRY then you should layer your undergarments.

A poly skin suit (underware), then a polartec or thinsulate undergarment. And I usually wear a standard cotton sweatshirt on top of the polartec for 45-50 degree water.

Hood and gloves are required although the last time I dove there (March) the buddy I was with never uses gloves.

If your DRYSUIT is really a semi-dry you will be very cold. 6-7 Mil wetsuits are OK providing that the sun is out and the temp is warm (you need to be warmed up once you are back on the boat). So, a 6-7 mil semi dry should do OK.

I gave up being cold long ago and dive dry almost all the time even in warm waters.

I dive monterey on a regular basis and will hopefully be there this friday and for sure on saturday.The water is ussually between 48deg at depth and up to around 58 on the surface plus or minus a few degreees.I wear a trilam drysuit a with a bare cf-200 undergarment and wool socks and have yet to get cold.Being you having a 3m drysuit you should get away with less insulation than me.I would go with polypros and layer them till your comfy.Good luck and enjoy the diving this weekend.I hear its looking good.I went two weeks ago to breakwater and the vis was terrible. If vis is bad at one site goto another as sometimes it is better.Even better do a boat dive.Enjoy!!

ooppps, like a few people before me I thought you were wearing a 3 mil WETSUIT !! that would be bad, you should be fine with whatever you decide to go with, I am a longtime monterey local and I am still fine with a 7 mil wet. water temp is fairly constant at 54 55 degrees. let me know if you need a buddy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom