What to wear in Florida waters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TeqP

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello - Two buddies and I have booked a trip to dive Ft. Lauderdale during the Labor Day weekend.
In SoCal I wear a 7mm wetsuit with hood and gloves. I'm pretty sure I will not need a 7mm for the Florida waters.

Will a 2mm shorty be sufficient for your waters?

I wore a 3mm shorty in Thailand in April and was plenty warm with that on. The water temp there was 85-88F. Thanks for the help as I plan on buying the shorty for this trip.

Phil

A 3mm shorty might be okay. Most divers wear a 3mm full length wetsuit here year round. I'd suggest you don't buy a shorty in CA but visit one of our mega stores here for a good deal. Divers Direct in West Palm Beach has more stuff than I've ever seen in CA dive stores, but then I haven't shopped CA for a few years. Water temps should be in the mid 80's when you're here. Come on down, the waters fine.

we're seeing 83-85 right now and it's only going to get hotter.. Check out the Palm Beach dive report from time to time, it will certainly be close to Lauderdale's temps. (I update it at least once a week, or at least someone does)

Metaldector is right, wait and buy it here, it's probably going to be a whole lot cheaper..

It's definitely not California! I get cold in those waters after about a half hour no matter what time if year it is, so I always wear a 3 mm shorty. Sometimes with a half-mm full suit under it.

I'm not in my skin yet, but another few weeks and I'll be ready to make the switch from my 3mm.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I will have to check your megastores website for prices. Right now Costco is selling a 2mm shorty for $30 locally, that's why I was tempted to buy it in SoCal.
With 83-85F and possibly getting warmer during my visit, I think a 2 or 3mm shorty should be fine for myself.

Phil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom