What to wear in Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

suziq239

Reaction score
Trying to pack now for my trip after christmas and can't decide on what to bring for diving and dry time. I see that the temp won't get under 75 next week but i still can't decide what to bring.

Here are the choices
lycra dive skin
1mm titanium full
2/3
mm full
2/3 shorty

honestly how much do I need?

I'm in Bonaire right now. Haven't worn a wet-suit since I've been here and have been warm on every dive. My computer consistently reports 85 degrees. I have been wearing a dive skin shirt -- not the full body type of thing.

I am pretty warm-blooded. But, again, I have been totally comfortable without a wetsuit. If you are a real freeze-baby -- I'd go with the 2/3 shorty.

Have fun.

A full length skin or a 2/3mm full suit if you get colder.....you need the protection more against the elemenst and the "wildlife" then the water -- you don't want to get stunk/scraped/cut by something

That can't be answered without knowing how easily you get cold, how many dives you will be doing, and how deep. In early October I was comfortable in a 3mm full suit and beenie. I had my 1mm with me, but never used it. My GF wore a 4/3 and a 5mm hood, and was none too warm. You can always let water in at the neck if you are warm. I'm sure there are others who don't need anything more than a swimsuit. There are some nasty box jellies in Bonaire, so I wouldn't advise less than full coverage.

thanks... I am leavin the shorty at home since my last trip is when I found the joys of fire coral. I think I stay pretty warm compared to most. I will go back and forth over the which full to take.

suziq239:
thanks... I am leavin the shorty at home since my last trip is when I found the joys of fire coral.
You won't want to touch any of the mooring ball ropes at sites near Salt Pier then. Or most of the pier. No gloves allowed either.

Tamas:
A full length skin or a 2/3mm full suit if you get colder.....you need the protection more against the elemenst and the "wildlife" then the water -- you don't want to get stunk/scraped/cut by something

I tend to agree and if you are not too prone to getting cold the 1mm full will probably do you. We took our 3mm jumpsuits just because it is a good all around full suit. Shorty's have never been a personal favorite of mine for ocean diving. I would say any of them would work as 75* isn't so bad, but I always opt for the protection in warm reef water environments and don't worry as much about the temps.

3mm full is ideal and a hood for night dives. We actually did see a very rare Bonaire Banded Box Jellyfish in September. These are not common and we have seen only the one in 400 plus dives in Bonaire.

I wear a 3/2. We do 4 to 5 dives a day, so by the last dive of the day I may be a little chilled. If I was going to do just 2 dives a day I would take a skin.
Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom