What to wear in Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, I tend to wear a skin to protect myself from the fire coral. I suggest bringing a skin and a shortie (lightweight). For topside wear, shorts, jean skirt, basic summer wear is fine. There is no reason to bring "dress up" clothes. The idea of dressing up for tourists here, which is widely accepted is docker shorts with a collar polo shirt for guys and a "sundress" for women.

Liz

whatever you wear, i would just make sure that your whole body is covered because of the fire coral. that fire coral is everywhere...my brother didnt even realize it was there and got caught in a huge branch of it. He was only wearing a shorty and had scars on his hands and legs. I wore a polar skin (fleece lining) underneath my shorty and was warm for the first two dives, but it was chilly by the third.

I used a 0.5 mm full length wetsuit for our recent Thanksgiving trip to Bonaire, my wife - who gets cold easier than I do in the water - used her 3/2 mm full wetsuit.

I have retired my 2 mm shorty (at least for now) after our (one and only, ever) box jellyfish sighting. No contact with it, but the full wetsuit was a wonderful idea for me.

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/64944/cat/2142

Encrusting fire coral is just about anywhere you can think to find it.

The ropes etc. - I haven't generally had issues with contact between my palms / finger undersides, where the skin is tougher, and mooring ropes. But after using the rope then say adjusting my mask seal, my face knew the difference. Nothing serious, just some mild irritation for a few hours. Something to keep in mnd.

Just left Bonaire last Thursday. Only used a skin (did 2 morning dives and one night dive/day). REason: No luggage till Tuesday!!! Had one pair of shorts and one shirt, bought another top,so one could be "evening wear"; wore same shorts everyday!! Did have a skin and bathing suit in carry-on. Ha!!

Seriously, the water temp was 82 degrees each dive. Never touched coral.

PS: I LOVED Bonaire. I'm in Aruba now and there are some decent reefs here, but not so many.

Wife and I just got back from 2 weeks in Bonaire. We both wore 3/2 wetsuits. Water temp was 82 degrees. We were comfortable but cool by the end of the two weeks. Maybe we are sensitive, but I can not see doing a lot of diving in less than a 3/2, both from a core temperature and a keep the body protected from stingy things perspective. With dive times of over 60 minutes, the water does have a chance to suck a lot of heat off of you...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom