What to look for in a knife?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sam308

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I would like to get a knife for diving and am not sure what to look for. Stainless or titanium? Blunt or point?

What is most important?

Thanks,
Sam

I have heard that titanium is more brittle by nature than steel so if you are going to be prising things open, then I would opt for steel. If you are going to use for entanglement, then you don't need anything large and ideally should be within easy reach - but that is for another discussion - the pros and cons of knife placement. :wink: A lot of fishing lines are now made of some stuff that I can't remember the name which a knife could not cut through so there are specific line cutters about if you dive in an area where fishing lines could be a problem. I am sure that others on here will make their recommendations also.

You really don't say what you want the knife for, general use like entanglement, eating scallops at 50', banging on the tank, digging for sharks teeth?

There was a thread on this VERY recently, also many others I'm sure, so do a search.

IMO titanium is not all that important unless you want a knife that stays pretty. SS can rust, but our SS kitchen knives go through the dishwasher likely more than most divers will expose them to water without much issue. Weight is really not much of a factor underwater as we add weight. If you want it light for travel considerations, that maybe valid. Titanium is also COOL!

I purchased a knife with a serrated blade and a sharp blade. The main thing I looked for was a sheath with a good lock.

Blunt tip or sharp depends on what you plan to do with it. Blunt tips are safer, but not good for things like cleaning fish. I like a knife that holds a sharp edge, and is easy to sharpen. Not sure how easy titanium is to put an edge on. SS takes an edge well with a bit of practice.

Many people like EMT sissors, and I have a pair of those as well. They can cut through things that a knife has a difficult time with.

Good luck, and hope this helps,
Ron

Sam308:
I would like to get a knive for diving and am not sure what to look for. Stainless or titanium? Blunt or point?

What is most important?

Thanks,
Sam

Stainless knives require more care than other stainless dive gear due to the composition of the metal. They HAVE to be rinsed and oiled or rust will develop. That is the only reason for getting titanium imo. The shears work well for cutting wire and mono. It depends on what your needs are.

A little general guidance...
If the fishermen who fish in the area where you dive use steel leader, you need shears.
If you're spearfishing, you need a drop point, at least 4" long.
If you're beating on things, you need a through-the-handle tang and a steel butt.
If you're digging and prying, you need a blunt-tip.
For getting untangled, the best tool is a good buddy.
Titanium is lighter and harder than steel, and won't rust, but steel is tougher (less brittle) than titanium.
So... depends on the kind of diving you're doing, and where.
Rick

I am wondering if the major knife manufactures do not provide the warranty service for the broken Titanium knife? If the titanium knife is more brittle, why don’t you get the replacement under the warranty whenever you have some problems? Of course, I have already gotten UK titanium knife from Scubatoys because I believe that UK and Scubatoys are always behind their sales that I bought. Am I right, Larry?

Far_X:
I have heard that titanium is more brittle by nature than steel so if you are going to be prising things open, then I would opt for steel. If you are going to use for entanglement, then you don't need anything large and ideally should be within easy reach - but that is for another discussion - the pros and cons of knife placement. :wink: A lot of fishing lines are now made of some stuff that I can't remember the name which a knife could not cut through so there are specific line cutters about if you dive in an area where fishing lines could be a problem. I am sure that others on here will make their recommendations also.

Simple, look behind you............is that a Great White, I think I would like a knife with an explosive head.

Pink knives are normally much cheaper. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom