What to feed "Sea Monkeys."

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was told once that eating a packet of mustard works well for cramps. I don't know if this person was messing with me or not, I have never tried it.

Hi,

if your focus is primarily in preparation of potential leg cramping, here's a product that may be worth a consideration. As a disclosure I have zero affiliation with this company, but the founders of the company are professors in the field of ion channel research (one who won the Nobel prize for the first resolved ion channel structure), who used to be friends and colleagues of my own boss when I was in an ion channel research lab myself at Harvard (actually involved in research related to the channels targeted by this potion, which appear to be TRP channels, specifically TRPV1 and perhaps TRPA1). I encourage you to take a look at the science section of the website, and perhaps take a look at some of the scientific articles mentioned in the references.
The product is called hotshot: HOTSHOT | Scientifically Proven to Tackle Muscle Cramps and Soreness
While I have not tried this product myself, the founders are certainly highly respectable scientists. I don't know the proprietary composition, but you might try some homemade concoction that may mimic the ingredients, which I suspect contain capsaicin (TRPV1 agonist, TRPV1 is known as the capsaicin receptor), and most likely some TRPA1 agonist (not sure which, could be mustard oil, or another, as this channel is sometimes referred to as the "wasabi receptor", and mustard oil is its most commonly used agonist in electrophysiology experiments). Hence why the name hotshot I guess. In any case, the ingredients are dosed in a proprietary cocktail, so you might want to try and see if it works for you, or drink some hot sauce before and after effort to see if this seems to work for you at all :) Obviously, there may be different or additional ingredients to this thing, and the dosing may be critical, but there's no harm in trying your own recipe, or just buy a sample to try. My two cents.
Hello. The post had you. At the bottom.

Hello. The post had you. At the bottom.

Wow, sorry to have polluted your thread with unwanted information. I was just trying to be helpful in suggesting a potential source of information and type of food/nutrition which might be useful to prevent or alleviate cramping, since that seemed to be your primary focus, just an avenue of thought that might be worth a consideration. Even though I have not tried this personally, I fully disclosed that. I am not trying to sell you anything, if I did, I would lie and tell you to absolutely try this since this is the best thing since sliced bread and works miracles.
I don't think this was off-topic at all, I only mentioned it without first-hand experience because there is some very interesting science behind it, and this isn't some Joe Schmoe snake oil recipe promoted on shark tank. At least this stemmed from the work of extremely well respected scientists in their field (yeah, you don't win the Nobel prize at your local raffle...) A field of science where I have some strong interest myself and relates loosely to some work I have done personally.
Dude, it seems you start some threads where interesting discussion could take place, but you make it a point to prohibit any relevant and stimulating interaction by going out of your way to police the threads in ridiculously obnoxious fashion.
At some point, I wanted to participate in the discussion regarding AI computers vs SPGs in another thread of yours, but refrained based on similar patterns of censorship and policing others had already complained about.
Bottom line, just because you start a thread doesn't mean you own it, and if you're trying to discourage anyone from intervening in any thread of yours, it seems to me you're on the right path.
"Cheers." to paraphrase.

Wow, sorry to have polluted your thread with unwanted information. I was just trying to be helpful in suggesting a potential source of information and type of food/nutrition which might be useful to prevent or alleviate cramping, since that seemed to be your primary focus, just an avenue of thought that might be worth a consideration. Even though I have not tried this personally, I fully disclosed that. I am not trying to sell you anything, if I did, I would lie and tell you to absolutely try this since this is the best thing since sliced bread and works miracles.
I don't think this was off-topic at all, I only mentioned it without first-hand experience because there is some very interesting science behind it, and this isn't some Joe Schmoe snake oil recipe promoted on shark tank. At least this stemmed from the work of extremely well respected scientists in their field (yeah, you don't win the Nobel prize at your local raffle...) A field of science where I have some strong interest myself and relates loosely to some work I have done personally.
Dude, it seems you start some threads where interesting discussion could take place, but you make it a point to prohibit any relevant and stimulating interaction by going out of your way to police the threads in ridiculously obnoxious fashion.
At some point, I wanted to participate in the discussion regarding AI computers vs SPGs in another thread of yours, but refrained based on similar patterns of censorship and policing others had already complained about.
Bottom line, just because you start a thread doesn't mean you own it, and if you're trying to discourage anyone from intervening in any thread of yours, it seems to me you're on the right path.
"Cheers." to paraphrase.

I took it as a joke. But I am bad about taking things as jokes, even when they may not have been intended that way.

DW

That last part got me thinking a bit.... wasabi coffee.... by gosh, that's just crazy enough it might work!

no. dear god. no.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Threads are like a conversation and in the real world, conversations evolve. Remember to be courteous to all participants.

We do try to keep threads on track but saying words to the effect of "while I haven't tried this myself, my friends swear by XX product", is still on topic

Nope. No specific meal before a dive.
When I dive early I make sure to have breakfast as usual (mix of cereals, dried bananas, raisins and yoghurt) at least 2 hours before entering the water.
When diving during the day or in the evening: I eat as normal, but again at least 2 hours before entering.
I just want to make sure that I've digested my meal.
What I do more than normally: I drink a lot before. Water!
Until the very last moment before entering I drink water. And as soon as I get out and removed my set, I start drinking again. Water! (specifying it bc people might think I'm a drunk onshore)
I normally don't drink that much water, except when running and diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom