Question What to do with very old gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You have 40 year old BCDs and who knows how old the wetsuits are (old neoprene gets stiff) and people are suggesting you give this ancient stuff to a charity that works with disabled divers? Sheesh. 🙄 That’s just wrong.

My perspective is that it never hurts to ask, especially for a worthy cause.

I’d leave it up to the recipient to determine whether they want the item(s) or not.

Better to offer them the option than to arbitrarily make that decision for them.

Well, I am an old person and I am not sure why I should be ignored or how that applies to this question.

It seems, but not not in countries as “developed” as the west, where previous generations
stay in the family home, to be nurtured by the following generations, until their departure
unlike the west where the devotion to long work hours has developed a time poor culture
the primary goal, buying stuff, playing, and food and not, devotion to their ageing elderly

So sir my words were for all and it's your assessment to whom they may or may not apply

Don't tar eveyone just because I'm ethically challenged and 4 pages later, still, NO photos

But to brighten the place up, here is some stuff, far older than what you are talking about

025.JPG

and that's me using it

Screenshot (85).png

and thats me using it

Screenshot (84).png

so taken five years ago but that's a time geography and the million choices of dive apparatus I have thing
ok so this stuff may be more attractive than yours
as far as whatever everyone else is talking about your stuff may not be an interest of theirs but I buy it all

Would you dive with it? If not, why would you expect anybody else to?
The assumption is to dive with it. Old gear can be stripped for parts, cut up for use in unrelated function. Masks and fins can last a very long time, as can a BCD or a regulator. Our society has gotten an ingrained belief that everything is ultimately disposable. When I go to goodwill with my kids, I always check out the spotting goods section. Most of my back up gear was found at tag sales and swap meets or bought used on eBay. I haven’t bought a car from a dealer since the 90s.

People sell stuff because they don’t want to store it or use it or fixit. That doesn’t mean someone else won’t find value in it.

Would you dive with it? If not, why would you expect anybody else to?
I’m getting the impression that since they’re a charity, they should be grateful and take anything anyone offers to them. Nope.

I’m getting the impression that since they’re a charity, they should be grateful and take anything anyone offers to them. Nope.
My brother works at a charity that refurbishes old bicycles. They sell them, give them a way to people that can't afford to buy them. None of those bikes are given out are unsafe.

Regulators have not changed a heck of a lot in 40 years. You can still get parts for many of them. I gave my daughter my rocket fins I bought in 1980. She still uses them. Her regulator has my original SPG. My regulator and BCD are old enough to vote and buy liquor. If I was a boat owner and wanted to have some gear to clean boat hulls or clear props I would be looking for 40 year old regulator that I could get for $30. My steel tanks are probably older than you.

Not every one is able to afford off the shelf new gear, many don't need it and there is a ton of perfectly good gear available.

Being a charity means being grateful for what you get and making the most of it. They probably have people that service old gear as part of their giving.

You have 40 year old BCDs and who knows how old the wetsuits are (old neoprene gets stiff) and people are suggesting you give this ancient stuff to a charity that works with disabled divers? Sheesh. 🙄 That’s just wrong.
LDS took ancient regs to recycle, and one BC (only brought the one when we went by)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom