what to do with the a80

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justinbaker

Registered
Reaction score
ok i am in a small dilemma. I have been wanting to get a digicam that i can buy a housing for. i have been thinking about the canon a75 or the nikon 3200.

Last week my local office depot was going out of business, and i got the canon A80 (not a75) for $150. My question now is should i keep this or sell it on ebay, make a little money, and buy the nikon? I like the nikon because it is so small. But still not sure what to do. THanks for your input

I'd keep the A80. Total manual shooting is possible which means you get full control over the camera. With canon you can be in charge of the depth of feild, you can be in charge of the shutter speed, you can be in charge of the ISO.

any other thoughts

I am a nikon guy so I am biased towards the Nikon. I shoot mostly film ( N90, 70, and nikonos V), but I bought my GF a nikon coolpix 3200. She loves the camera, and on the rare occasion I need digital I just borrow it from her. I think it is a great digital camera for the price. I even thought about getting a housing for it, but she helped me see the error in my logic.

I don't think you will go wrong with either camera, so go with the one you feel most comfortable using.

Brian

I'd stick with the Canon. Have been using the A series for a long time and love them.

You need full manual control for underwater...it isn't as hard as it looks really.

You can add lenses & external strobes to the Canon.

You have it in hand and can start learning the features now before your next dive!

There are several here who have that camera or similar and can help with questions you might have.

Ultimately, you have to do what you feel comfortable with and if you truly want the Nikon, then I think selling the A80 and using the $$ towards the Nik is a good plan.

And the housing is very reasonable. I have the A-80, and have really enjoyed it. Keep it, you'll be glad you did.

Hi Justin,

Stick with the A80 and get the WP-DC900 housing fantastic camera easy to use, you will be pleased with your new purchase.
have fun

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom