What to do with "stuff" when diving...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have an egg and small dry box and dry bag. Like the dry box best since I can put keys, money, drivers licences a a CC. I put it in a ziplock just to keep out any addition wet. I put a neck band on and tuck it under wetsuit by chest. Minimal buoyancy.

Get one ^ of these. http://www.leisurepro.com/catalog.aspx?op=gcssearch&term=witz+case

@diversteve : Are these big enough to hold a credit card, license, AND a car key with electronic door locks? Once, long long ago, I tied the key for a Ford Explorer to my bathing suit while snorkeling in Two-Step bay on the Big Island, which shorted the key, which resulted in my paying the rental car company $100 (at least as I recall) to bring us a new key! We had a good time waiting for them to drive down from the airport but the 100 bucks hurt.

Witz sells a wider case - some of them on that page named Locker that could work. One of them is designed for a pair of glasses so should be thick enough.

I have ome of the small 6.95 ones - an electronic key would not fit. I also have the slightly bigger clear blue one - it would hold something about the size of a thick wallet so should work.

Of course the wider, the more side pressure so higher possibility of leaking.

Some people use a dive light with no batteries in it instead. Mine have a double o-ring, screw down bezel and are aluminum - rated to 100M (Dorcy) Not wide enough for a credit card though.

Thanks much. Like the dive light idea but good pt re no credit card or license. Thanks again.

Suggest you read your retal contract. Most rental contracts will void insurance if you did not secure the vehicle key. You will be liable for the entire cost of vehicle if stolen. The police, car company will make you produce the key if car was stolen as proof.

Yes, but I get the impression vehicle theft is not a significant problem on Bonaire. What most of us are more concerned about is petty theft of articles from vehicles, and perhaps also a little random vandalism.

Yes, but I get the impression vehicle theft is not a significant problem on Bonaire.

It's a small island. Where're you gonna go?

It's a small island. Where're you gonna go?

Right. I suppose there might be a market for truck parts, but even then, where're you gonna set up a chop shop? It's a small island.

Like any Barney Fifth couldn't find a car on that island in under 2 hours. lol Well, whatever the agreement is, in Bonaire, I just stash it somewhere. Sometimes even under a rock....

I have an S3 T something and it works fine. It's a one clasp model and I tie some surgical tube around it so I don't accidentally pop it open. Leave the credit card in the safe. Polars are cheap in Rincon. Be careful, some normal looking keys still have a chip in them. I don't know if they are very susceptible to water damage but I'd put them in a small ziplock and then in the case. Take old prescription glasses along and hang them in a bush. And show your buddy where you hid them and make sure they're paying attention :) I take cheap sunglasses along that I get from work - no one will steal those things.

I'll do like wwguy says and separate my flipflops. Throw one under a tank and one under the truck. But then, I really like those flipflops.

I buy 'sunglasses' at the welding gas supply place for Bonaire. They have 3 great benefits. First, they are super cheap ($5ish), they do a great job of blocking the sun, and they are apparently immune from theft on the island. Never had a pair stolen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom