What To Do With Old Tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has a couple of pages on making a pressure pot with AL80.

The pressure pot I had, I made from steel pipe, steel plate and tie rods.

If you don't want to drill and tap into the cut off end of a cylinder you can rig a tie rod setup to hold the top on. Bigger, uglier .....just my style. :D

Remember that a pressure pot operates at fairly low pressure, like shop air or lower, 125 psi is something like 300 FSW. You can use shop air through a regulator to produce your pressure.

Most things you will pressure check need to be submerged in water, either to check for leaks or to prevent damage to sensors.

One of the LDS's we go by has the entire car park lined with tanks with little lights on top so you can see it at night. Looks nice, firstly i have to get some tanks, then once they are done, eventually do something with them, that will take some time!

pipedope:
Has a couple of pages on making a pressure pot with AL80.

The pressure pot I had, I made from steel pipe, steel plate and tie rods.

If you don't want to drill and tap into the cut off end of a cylinder you can rig a tie rod setup to hold the top on. Bigger, uglier .....just my style. :D

Remember that a pressure pot operates at fairly low pressure, like shop air or lower, 125 psi is something like 300 FSW. You can use shop air through a regulator to produce your pressure.

Most things you will pressure check need to be submerged in water, either to check for leaks or to prevent damage to sensors.

Thanks Pipedope!

Does your pressure pot have any sort of window? Or is that just asking for trouble, better to keep it robust and simple? (Methinks 125 psi in a closed container, rapidly failing and flying apart, could be very bomb-like and dangerous.)?

Thanks again,

Anthony

But not always required.

If you are only checking for leaks your don't need the window.

I have done them both ways.

You don't have to take it to 125 psi, unless you need to check to 300'.

Then again, while 125 psi is serious, look at home air compressors and the tanks they use. They are not all that heavy.

Back
Top Bottom