What to do with an old Dacor BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
First off, Mods, sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I tried to pick the right one, but apologies if not.

Anyway, I recently was given an old Dacor jacket style BCD. The power inflator is missing, but otherwise it looks relatively decent, intact with no stains, scuffs, or other obvious damage. Still, my instinct say such an old BCD is not worth repairing and should not be dove with. That being said, I'd like to do something with it, so I'm looking for ideas. If I'm wrong about it not being diveable, I'd love to hear that, but I'm more expecting suggestions ranging from maybe using it as a lift bag or buoy somehow (if I can inflate it without spending a ton on parts) or even something silly, like a decoration (DACOR-ration?) idea. Just trying to do something better than throwing it in the dumpster.

Side note, but does anyone know anything about Zeagle Rangers? Same guy gave me one of those that's size XS, but otherwise looks near new and does work (I checked). I was wondering if I could increase the harness size somehow, maybe by putting the wing on a new harness?

I'd probably just give away the Dacor to anyone that might want it....... then sell the XS Ranger and buy another Ranger that's more in line with your general size. But then..... I love the Ranger so I'm biased. The Rangers are totally modular and fully adjustable. Here's a pic of the modules that you can easily adjust or replace with basically no tools.

A6JFXj7.jpg

@NW Dive Dawg And see, this is why I find it hard to trust my LDS. The local Zeagle dealer swore blind you couldn't do exactly that. Claimed it was stitched in, claimed it wasn't a big enough wing for any other sized harness, claimed anything that would make it more likely I'd buy something new. Can't stand it when they do that.

As for giving the Dacor away, do you think it could still be used? If it can, I'd like to keep it for a spare/loaner, and if not, I'd hate to give it to someone else. Not much for handing off my trash, and I'd hate to think of someone else trying to use it and getting hurt if it is in fact unsafe.

Side Note: I'm looking for zeagle harness parts online, and they seem somewhat hard to come by. Do you know where I could find parts for a larger harness, or, alternately, could I put the bladder on a bp/w?

I think I have an inflator hose and inflator for a Dacor in my shed. I'll take a look, but if so, and I don't have a viable BCD for it, I'd send it to you at the cost of shipping.

My thoughts are that if you can get that inflator, and test the BCD for leaks, you could dive it without problems.

SeaRat

@John C. Ratliff That would amazing! I really appreciate it. Feel free to DM me if you find it so we can discuss details.

I have a 25-30 year old Dacor bcd. I haven't dived it nor has it even been wet in 15+years. It still holds the air that I put in it for . . .years. of course, it would need a service. I put it on marketplace a couple of years back but the response was almost exclusively from new divers. I wasn't inclined to sell/give to new divers.
A friend of mine who used to own a dive shop suggested that I give it to an independent instructor. Haven't done that yet. 🤔

Just to add that the darn thing looks almost brand new. How that's possible boggles my mind. Don't make them like they used to do, I guess. 😄

Side Note: I'm looking for zeagle harness parts online, and they seem somewhat hard to come by. Do you know where I could find parts for a larger harness, or, alternately, could I put the bladder on a bp/w?
I currently have 2 old zeagle BCD wings that are on flat VDH style backplates. The spacing they used for the 2 inch webbing that laces onto the harness is pretty common to the spacing for the tank band slots on a Backplate.

Back
Top Bottom