What to do while diving a lake with bad visibility?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Several of the ocean sites I shore dive here in Nova Scotia tend to get like that at about 30'--in one case at 15'. So I go out there, poke around a few minutes, then go to one "side" of the bay or the other into shallower water where at least there is the scenery of rocks, kelp, seaweed, etc. But hey, it's a dive. Maybe I'll get me a flounder or some scallops for supper. That probably won't help you much.

I used to try doing very complex compass navigation in local lakes. I bought the original Scuba Sextant as a kid and had lots of fun. At night, I'd just illuminate my gauges and swim without a light like a commando with just the faint glow of the compass and depth gauge to guide me.

8aad3d21-4764-4aa3-aec6-d43f0af30b28.jpg

You couldn't ask for a better place to work on your navigational skills. It's like a pilot learning to fly by instruments.

The key is being able to identify several landmarks before-hand so that you can predetermine some compass headings. You can start out with simple out and back maneuvers and as you hone those skills move on to more complex maneuvering patterns (boxes, triangles, etc.).

If there aren't any pre-existing landmarks, pick up a couple of buoys, enough line to reach the bottom, and some weights to keep them in place. Then, when you're done practicing simply retrieve your buoys.

I used to try doing very complex compass navigation in local lakes. I bought the original Scuba Sextant as a kid and had lots of fun. At night, I'd just illuminate my gauges and swim without a light like a commando with just the faint glow of the compass and depth gauge to guide me.

View attachment 412950

That's a copy of a E6-B Flight computers backside, On the front of it is a round "slide rule" used to do the math of flying..

Redirect Notice

jim

Last edited:
I dive every werkend here in the American northeast...its cold with typically low vis....but I love it. My boyfriend and I stack rocks and practice skills.
Try to identify whete people boat or swim most often, you can go on a treasure hunt for lost items.
You could also set up obsticals or swim throughs...practice navigating betwwen your placed items....great for honing skills!
You did not describe the lake much....have you tried different depths? Here we could have 10' vis at 15' but 20+ at 45!
In the end it still underwater...wich is always a pleasure...just telax and breath

You couldn't ask for a better place to work on your navigational skills. It's like a pilot learning to fly by instruments.

The key is being able to identify several landmarks before-hand so that you can predetermine some compass headings. You can start out with simple out and back maneuvers and as you hone those skills move on to more complex maneuvering patterns (boxes, triangles, etc.).

If there aren't any pre-existing landmarks, pick up a couple of buoys, enough line to reach the bottom, and some weights to keep them in place. Then, when you're done practicing simply retrieve your buoys.

With all of the lakes in the Poconos, there was plenty of fun to be had. The vis would change seasonally from 15 - 20 feet to 1 - 3 depending upon the temps and aquatic plant and algae blooms. I used to swim across lakes to hit docks on the other side, navigate the series of slow no wake buoys, etc. In better vis where I often teach, I have students maintain a 15 foot deep "swimming safety stop" and try to hit a series of uplines tied to attractions at places like Dutch Springs. It gives them the blue water Navy SEAL swim challenge while practicing holding their safety depth. I do the same with my tech students. I have them swim their deco while navigating and see if they are smart enough to realize they shouldn't be swimming at PPO2's higher than a 1.3 ATA.

That's a copy of a E6-B Flight computers backside, On the front of it is a round "slide rule" used to do the math of flying..

Redirect Notice

jim

I remember it being advertised in Skin Diver magazine as having been developed by a pilot. So, he pretty much just borrowed or stole a gizmo pilots had back then?

Low Viz makes for good opportunities-you can practice your skills (especially nav) or go on a devil may be dive and see what you can finds while trying to get as lost as possible. Or even go out into the lake and try to find your way to a specific spot without your compass

I have a few suggestions about diving in fresh water. First, start by looking for little things, not big fish like you'd see in the tropics. There is actually a lot of life in the water that you are not aware of. I have a device that I fix to my mask called a SeawiscopeEY, which was developed by an optometrist, CY Tang, in Hong Kong for us older divers. He was teaching optometry at a university in Hong Kong at the time. But it also works to see in 3D very small and close objects. I have, for instance, watched a hydra on a leaf feeding off the plankton in the river for about five minutes, and the hydra was only as large an my thumb nail (measured by me). I also have observed the small sculpins feeding right before my eyes. I dive the Clackamas River near Portland, Oregon, and am ever fascinated by the underwater life, such as the crayfish (crawdad) seen below, or the freshwater sponge. I have been following the spawning habits of the redside shiner in our rivers, and they only get their red sides when spawning (see below). There are fascinating subjects in our lakes and rivers, and the field of limnology is a great place to start study if you are interested.

Here is a short video about the SeawiscopeEY:
Below you will see some of my photos of underwater life in the Clackamas River. Photography is available even in limited visibility, but it is usually marco photography.

Now, for another rather different "take" on diving in fresh water, especially German lakes. In the early days of diving, the World Underwater Federation (CMAS), and in the United States of America the Underwater Society of America established underwater games that could be played. Now, these are highly competitive sports. One of those sports is Underwater Orienteering, and it is very popular in Germany. Here is a short video on Underwater Orienteering:

And here is another very good video in German about Underwater Orienteering:

Look it up at:
Verband Deutscher Sporttaucher e.V. Topics

SeaRat

Attachments

• Clackamas Life013.jpg
    Clackamas Life013.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 18
  • Clackamas Life008.jpg
    Clackamas Life008.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 25
  • Clackamas Life004.jpg