What to do when you have to go...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve02

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
and I don't mean pee?

I ask this because my girlfriend and I were just at the store this afternoon and the urge to go hit her all of a sudden - little to no warning. Having had similiar experiences myself, what is the recommend solution (for both shore and boat) while you're diving?

Thanks,
Steve

I've had a few fairly close calls, so I understand your concern. So far I haven't had to deal with it, but I imagine that other than staying downwind of people there's not much you can do.

Had this happen in a lake once, but wasn't in a suit, when you gotta go, you gotta go, then warn others of the contaminated area.

Now I know a reason someone might actually want to put their wetsuit on inside out! If I ever see somebody start a dive right with their suit right side out and return with it inside I'll have second possible assumption I might make!:shocked2:

I do know someone (who shall remain nameless, for the reason that I intend to live a few years longer yet) who had this happen in the pool during their OW class. Sudden, prolonged absence from the pool was never mentioned but am sure it did not go un noticed!

I definitely suggest terminating a dive early for such an emergency. Remember that any diver can call their dive when they need to, and you do not have to explain in detail why.

An entirely legitimate question. As for me, I try the prevention course by eating lots of roughage the few days before a planned dives so that I can..."clean" out. That way my bowel doesn't have a lot of bulk to evacuate on dive day.

That's also one of my reasons for staying with a wetsuit instead of a drysuit. My front zip wetsuit is very easy to peel off.

You know, I've never even had to fart while diving? Kinda disappointing, I've even eaten mexican beforehand to attempt the self propelled scooter, but it never works.......now, once I'm back on the boat.......that's another story!

I've always been concerned about that issue, and it is a real one.

It's not often mentioned, but it should be addressed.

The first thing would to be to understand one's digestive system, and plan one's food consumption based upon the biologically normal functions.

If your bowel has a tendency to become active mid-morning, then don't consume anything that would generate an inordinate amount of waste. And likewise, between dives, don't consume anything which you know activates your bowel.

Timing is everything. I think each of us knows our daily routine. Just keep that in the back of your mind when planning your trip and adjust your meal schedules and menu accordingly.

Now, IF one were to soil one's wet/dry suit, I would assume that the diver would refrain from doffing it while on board the boat. Shore dives could be a different matter because of the immediate, for the most part, availability of more private quarters.

The heads on most boats don't give sufficient space to handle such a situation in order to clean up.

Now if the water temperature was permissible, I suppose one could, after doffing the gear, hop back into the water, swim to the bow where there's a bit of privacy, partially doff the wet suit and attempt a good rinsing.

So, if it happend to me, I guess I'd live with the mess until such time I could get to a convenient place to clean up.

If it were my wet suit I'd throw it away and buy a new one (I buy inexpensive wet suits).

If it were my dry suit, I'd just sit down and cry, then take it to the freakin car wash.

the K-lean it REAL GOOD ! ! !

Warhammer maneuver! Don't have a link right now but I'm sure somebody will PM you one if ya like!
I KNEW this one would show up! :rofl3:

...The first thing would to be to understand one's digestive system, and plan one's food consumption based upon the biologically normal functions.
...If your bowel has a tendency to become active mid-morning, then don't consume anything that would generate an inordinate amount of waste. And likewise, between dives, don't consume anything which you know activates your bowel.

Coffee and smoke in the morning, the strongest laxative you can buy without a prescription!

...If it were my dry suit, I'd just sit down and cry, then take it to the freakin car wash.
the K-lean it REAL GOOD ! ! !
:rofl3::rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom