What to do for Christmas list?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WillAbbott

Reaction score
Ok so this got brought up today, and I'm curious what you guys think about this (kind of a silly question, but hey why not?)

So christmas is quickly approaching and I'm getting asked what I want... in which I have NO clue.

Someone said I should go make a list, which would at this point be entirely comprised of SCUBA stuff.

Well we all know SCUBA gear isnt cheap. At this point the only inexpensive things I can think of to ask for (under $100) would be a slate, wet-suit hood, etc. But the hood is kinda one of those things I would need to know what suit I'm going to get to make sure it will work (right?) Anyways, I dont know whether I should just take a trip to my LDS, and make a list of any and everything I want, Regs, gauges, BC, suit, etc. (all of which obviously over $100 more like over $200-400) Most of my family typically won't spend more than $100 for christmas. Now the other option suggested by the LDS was gift certificates, family could buy them and when I have a stack of enough of them to afford something I want, I can come use them. Also that they could do a layaway type deal for me, where I could have an item I work on paying off slowly, and they would take money from family for it as well, so I could pay on a suit, and so could my family etc.

So just curious for suggestions, should I make a list of items at the LDS (anything and everything I need/Want, etc) should I just reccomend they get gift certificates, or try and layaway an item or 2 that they can put money on for me? Or should I make a list of items off online shops (which I dont favor, as I have no way to look at the items nor know enough about them to make a proper decision)

I hate to take up the LDS's time with making lists, trying on stuff to find proper fit etc, so that family could buy the right one in the right size (though they are such great guys, they probably wouldn't mind, or not mind much)

Anyways, I appreciate all suggestions, reccomendations (on how to do this, or of things to ask for), input, etc.

Thx!

I would go for the gift certs. they are easy and if the person only wants to spend $20 then they can and not feel obligated to get you a $35 knife or whatever
just my 2 cents
- A J

There's plenty of 'cheaper' stuff under 100.00. Here's a few you might not have thought of:

Air fill cards

Dive Alert

Wetnotes/slate

Mask Defog

Catch bag

Flashlight

Smaller Backup Light

Batteries/bulbs for lights

Gift Cert. to the LDS

Safety Sausage

Stainless Steel/Brass Bolt-snaps

Backup Mask

Xtra fin straps

Xtra mask strap

Rooster1 once bubbled...
get cash and buy online, you get more:D

Problem with that is, my family has this bad habit of not giving as much cash as they will spend on you, so for example my grandparents would spend like $100+ but only give me like $50 in cash if they don't give me items... its strange, so I allways try and find items. and with online, I dont know enough yet to know that I will get something good, I'd probably buy the biggest pile of junk regulator or something... At least with the LDS they help me get what I need/want (and have comparable prices) and its local should I have problems with it, etc.

Thanks all for the great suggestions so far though, keep em commin :D

When I worked at a dive shop, we had a Customer Wish List one year. The thinking was the customer could come in and try on things like wetsuits, BC's, hoods, booties, etc. and list them on a wish list...along with anything else the customer had his/her eye on. It was a 'freakin' nightmare!

The gift giver would get there and be totally confused because they had no idea what most of the stuff was or what it was used for. The store employees had to try to explain what, why, and when something was used as well as try to justify the prices to someone who had no clue. It didn't matter that the customer had chosen these items.

We went back to gift certificates the next year.

My favorite gift at any time of year is plain old green money. I can do with it as I wish. I can't tell you how much time I have wasted in stores, of any kind, trying to spend that $10-20 gift. cert. Aunt Gertie gave me when there's nothing there I want. Get the green!

I might be wary of your LDS advice and prices. While some LDS's are quite good and competitive, others (and I would say most) are driven by manufacturer guidelines and price markup.

I'm not saying your LDS would not have good advice when it comes to diving, skills, knowledge, etc. However, some LDS's favor their equipment advice based on their inventory or manufacturer affiliations.

Read around the board for equipment recommendations. Look around at Leisure Pro, Simply Scuba, DiveINN, etc. for competitive prices and then compare with your LDS. You might be surprised.

As for Christmas, I would definately suggest gift certificates. There are a number of online dealers who also provide gift certificates so it doesn't necessarily have to be from your LDS. Hope that helps.

Thomas

WillAbbott once bubbled...

Problem with that is, my family has this bad habit of not giving as much cash as they will spend on you, so for example my grandparents would spend like $100+ but only give me like $50 in cash if they don't give me items... its strange, so I allways try and find items.
:D

Ha! Your family is just like mine. I could ask for money and they would just give me a $20 but if they were to go out and get something they'd spend a lot more. Make a wish list. Sounds like they be more apt to get you more stuff.

You don't really need to know what suit u r getting to pick a hood. Depending on where u will be diving, it may be good to just get a plain hood with a cowl as opposed to a hooded vest. The Hyperstretch is a $40 dream come true! Won;t squeeze your windpipe like the others.

Back
Top Bottom