what to buy? upgrade from basic u/w camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hotstepper, I have the Sea&Sea DX-1G and get very nice pics with it. If you click on my link p photos link on the left window and click on turks and Caicos and eleuthera albums you can see some examples. The DX-1g has several wet lens options that you can get as well (wide angle and close up lenses). You can even adapt a fisheye lens for extreme wide angle shots. Wet lenses are lenses that can be attached and removed underwater and expand the capability of the camera. In my opinion, you should buy a camera that will allow you to grow as you get familiar with taking underwater pics. Both the Canon G series and the DX-1G/2G will meet give you both point and shoot options as well as a full manual option as well.

I also believe that the how good the pictures turn out is more dependent on the person behind the camera rather than the camera itself. I have seen great pics from both point and shoot as well as DSLR cameras. I would also recommend that you read a few books on underwater or take a few courses. Here is a link to a site that offers online courses. I took two of the courses and really learned a lot from them: The Underwater Photographer, Underwater Digital Photography Classes: Improve your underwater photos.

Regards,

Bill

Hotstepper, I have the Sea&Sea DX-1G and get very nice pics with it. If you click on my link p photos link on the left window and click on turks and Caicos and eleuthera albums you can see some examples. The DX-1g has several wet lens options that you can get as well (wide angle and close up lenses). You can even adapt a fisheye lens for extreme wide angle shots. Wet lenses are lenses that can be attached and removed underwater and expand the capability of the camera. In my opinion, you should buy a camera that will allow you to grow as you get familiar with taking underwater pics. Both the Canon G series and the DX-1G/2G will meet give you both point and shoot options as well as a full manual option as well.

I also believe that the how good the pictures turn out is more dependent on the person behind the camera rather than the camera itself. I have seen great pics from both point and shoot as well as DSLR cameras. I would also recommend that you read a few books on underwater or take a few courses. Here is a link to a site that offers online courses. I took two of the courses and really learned a lot from them: The Underwater Photographer, Underwater Digital Photography Classes: Improve your underwater photos.

Regards,

Bill

thanks mate, very helpful : )
are u off to Fiji again soon then?? back to beqa lagoon??
I dived there a couple of years ago (before i got an u/water camera) gotta go back and get some pics!! was awesome!

cheers!

Matt

We will be returning to Beqa Lagoon Resort this Jul (can't wait). The resort is great, the diving is amazing, and the people are unbelieveably nice.

Regards,

Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom