What time of year for Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AmyJ

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
DH and I have free round trip tickets anywhere on Airtran (did anyone else save their Wendy's cups last year??) :D

We are thinking Bahamas... I would LOVE to do a dolphin dive.... we just redeemed our points tonight, now we have one year from today to fly. So... is this a good destination choice and if so... when in the next 365 days would be best to go?? Also open for any other suggestions... have been reading the threads but always looking for more info. We would want the trip to be low cost, but with as much diving as possible (read, not taking kids!!) :)

Thanks everyone,

Having dove there both winter and summer, as long as you can dodge a hurricane, all the seasons are good.

Pick the island you want to dive, and consult the tide tables. The best diving is when the tide is coming in, especially when diving New Provence (Nassau). Outboud tide is green from pouring off the Bahamas Banks, and inbound tides from the Tounge of the Ocean are about twice the vis.

Figure when you'll be diving, morning or afternoon or both, and pick the turn of the tides to fit.

All the best, James

I would avoid late July to early Nov, that's the hurricane season and late Jan to March is the rainy season. Otherwise, it's all good.

I live on Grand Bahama island and feel the best weather is April and May or October. UNEXSO runs a great dolphin experience trip. But if you want to dive alot for less you might want to consider Blackbeards cruises, a liveaboard dive boat that operates out of Port Lucaya on Grand Bahama island. They offer 3-4 dives a day and are not at all expensive for a liveaboard. Plus they go to dive sites that the day operators cannot reach.

Blackbeards:
I live on Grand Bahama island and feel the best weather is April and May or October. UNEXSO runs a great dolphin experience trip. But if you want to dive alot for less you might want to consider Blackbeards cruises, a liveaboard dive boat that operates out of Port Lucaya on Grand Bahama island. They offer 3-4 dives a day and are not at all expensive for a liveaboard. Plus they go to dive sites that the day operators cannot reach.

Agree! I have been on BlackBeards twice, once in November and once in January. October is a bit of a risk. Let's just say that the trip got cancelled in October while we were on the runway getting ready to take off :) So we took a joy ride to Miami and back. We rebooked for November and had a fantastic time. Weather was just beautiful.

The January trip was also fantastic, but it can feel REALLY cold in-between dives when it is windy.

Now as far as the diving is concerned, you definitely can't beat it for the price. On this last trip (Jan 6-12th 2007) we did 18 dives and they were all awesome. If you want to dive A LOT, have no kids to worry about, then I would go with the liveaboard :14:

Just to get a taste of BlackBeards diving, here is a video I shot on this last trip. It is their shark feed, which they call Bull Run. Enjoy!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLfhZ1lucDA

PS: Blackbeards, are you from BlackBeards Cruises or is it just a random username?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom