What thickness wetsuit for West Palm diving in April?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hammet

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a 3/2 full suit but I'm wondering if it's time to get something a little warmer. My old billabong surfing 4/3 doesn't even need a hanger anymore as it can stand up by itself, so that's out.

5mm with 3mm socks and hood for me.
Something to keep you warm during SI is important too. I usually strip and put on crappy sweater and skull cap [read ghetto]

Well, your profile doesn't say where you are from so I don't know what kind of cold tolerance you may have but I have been fine in an older 3mm in January. April water should be a degree or two warmer around 72 to 74 gloves and a hood can add warmth or add in a vest if you think you need it. Also depends on how many dives you will be doing. Multiple days may warrant something warmer.

I just dove with my 5mil full and 7mil boots in Fort Lauderdale. Water temp just came up to 78°. Was good first dive and even caught a small sun burn durring SI, but got cold 2nd drift dive.

If you're cold blooded like me, def step up as I'm sure it's no warmer up there.

Side note, I love my Bare reactive.

I just got back from diving Pompano beach and I was quite comfortable in a 4/3 and hood for dives up to 60 min. Obviously everyone cold tolerance varies, but I would think a 3 mm full suit/hood would work just fine in April.

If you have a good tolerance for the cold water, then you could add an integrated vest/hood 3mm/5mm to what you already own and probably be fine, which is what I did in February, because I own everything except a 5mm.
All things being equal, I think a 5mm with hood would be ideal. So, if you are game for spending some money, I would go that route and ensure a great dive trip.

I like my 5mm wetsuit, gloves, and hood. It keeps me warm enough at less than 100 Ft. I have a 3mm for peak summer. I'm just north of Palm Beach.

I wear a 5/4mm with a 4mm hooded vest. Although, I get cold fast because I don't have any "natural insulation".

Welp, I ponied up for a new 5mm after doing some web research (and a somewhat overpour of a Casamigos anejo tequila on the rocks).
I'm only going to be in Florida for a couple of days, and with my luck, the weather won't cooperate, but I was reading some posts here about pee pee in rental wet suits.
So about $350 later, I'm should be getting my amazon prime delivery of a Bare Velocity 5mm in blue trim that I 'might' use.

Last edited:
that should do you well ..it's been a warm winter here in southeast florida.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom