What they don't teach you in Nitrox class...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a similar experience one time where the mix was a tad high, and I had them top up a little more with air. The guy at the shop put the analyzer on the tank and we were watching the % go up on the analyze. As the increase slowed, he turned the tank vlave off just at it got to the mix he wanted, but it had not yet stabilized. Told him to keep it open as it went up another full %. Sheesh.

CIBDiving:
If you don't the Nitrox Police come and drag you off to jail.

No, but you could end up dead because of it. High PP02's should never be taken lightly.

Tassie_Rohan:
Ideally you should calibrate the meter with air at a similar temperature to the fill you're testing.
Way off the thread mate, but where in the hell do you go diving in Mongolia Tassie? I hear the country is great for mountain fishing and pitching yurts, but diving??

If I dropped off my tanks for 36 and got 40, I would bleed the tanks there and LEAVE. My LDS gets mad at himself if he is more than 0.2 off. If I ask for 32 and it comes to 32.2 he apologizes, but I have a Cochran, so I can set my comp for 32.2 so no biggie.

As far as PP vs banked fills. If you use steel tanks be VERY CAREFUL. Banked fills are not required to be O2 clean, so you CAN get excess hydrocarbons in your tank and then you go to a PP fill and there is crap in your tank, or you might have to have it O2 cleaned again. Not always but definitely possible. Also I will only let someone with an O2 clean air system put air in my steel tanks. Much less chance of pitting from by products in the air.

Kevin4diving:
I was thinking of getting a Nitrox specialty this winter.
Good plan.
Kevin4diving:
Is it as coplicated as it sounds?
Not really. Dust off your algebra.
Kevin4diving:
Maybe i'll just use air.
Take the course anyway. I still use air for much of my diving. Having the ability to use EAN on short notice is pretty handy, plus you get a better insight into what the algorithms used by tables and computers are really up to.

Web Monkey:
That would be someone who doesn't want to bother doing a simple calculation. I'd also guess the guy doing the filling isn't the guy paying for the O2.

Either that, or he doesn't fill them at all and takes them somewhere else to get pre-banked mix.

Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrum
Our only real local source insists on starting from an empty cylinder, bleeds them empty and starts from scratch. You have to leave them and come back the next day, yuck.
Pete

Or perhaps they don't have an O2 booster and can't always push to the required pressure.

discrepancy:
Way off the thread mate, but where in the hell do you go diving in Mongolia Tassie? I hear the country is great for mountain fishing and pitching yurts, but diving??

Would you care to elaborate as to why he is way off? I'm not disagreeing, just interested.

I believe that discrepancy was warning that his own post was about to be off topic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom