What they don't teach you in Nitrox class...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

do it easy:
Does your sensor ever read above 100%. Maybe it's grossly off and when you measure mostly pure O2, it's just pegging the meter. I agree with the other guys that 3% between ambient and tank is HUGE. I could believe .3% as in 20.9% versus 20.6%

I've heard that every once in a while, you get a DOA sensor..

That's an interesting thought, I never thought to try that. I use an Analox II analyser. I may just run it off my O2 deco bottle when I get home just to see what it reads.

I analyze mixes between 21% and around 36% at sea level. Calibrating to ambient and then using a very slow rate flow restrictor always gets me to a few decimal points of whatever I got at the shop using a different O2 sensor calibrated to constant flow out of a bottle of 21%.

Jason B:
Soggy, the sensor is from Analytical Industries. It's a PSR-11-39-JD

http://www.aii1.com/diveoxygensensors1.html

This is from the footnote:

2. At constant temperature and pressure. Caution: To avoid erroneous readings: 1) calibrate at operating pressure of sample, and, 2) calibrate with 100% oxygen for use at elevated oxygen levels above 30%.

So yes, it is about the flow rate, but I couldn't sleep at night if my sensor read 17% in ambient and 21% off of an air tank...

Any one using the R17D sensor from oxycheq.
I may order one up to try and alleviate this problem.

Air flow across the sensor will affect the reading. I use the sensor like the el cheapo with the blue "T" for air flow. I calibrate to ambient by swinging it around for a while. Then when I put it on the tank and take a reading, I figure that was good. Then, in my DIRf class the instructor came up while I was taking my tank reading and put his thumb over the air outlet for the sensor and the reading changed by about 1.5% or so. Try it sometime...

I now, for the time being, have an air tank that I will calibrate with much like was said before (ambient calibrate, air tank calibrate, reading on EAN tank, re-calibrate on air tank).

Back
Top Bottom