What the heck is wrong with my Suunto Compasses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SangP:
Just great...

Now what the heck am I to do with made for region 1 compass when I'm in 5 ish? Singapore isn't even in the their region.

Both my SK 6 stick and my sk 7 is making me dizzy just looking at it.

I've seen lots of suunto compasses here tilted so I guess they are all not for this region?

Can someone please help me here. No one told me that when I got from the states?

SangP

Don't buy from the internet:D

And the US of A is fore the biggest part in zone 1
and you live in Singapore zone 4 :huh: So your zone 1 compass
has to tilt sorry

300bar diver:
And the US of A is fore the biggest part in zone 1
and you live in Singapore zone 4 :huh: So your zone 1 compass
has to tilt sorry
Charlie99:
The magnetic field lines are not horizontal in most places in the world. They are more or less horizontal around the magnetic equator, and approach vertical as you approach the magnetic poles.
If it's any consolation, compasses that stay level in Singapore tilt in Alabama :) IOW it isn't a SUUNTO thing, just the way it is.
Some ship's compasses actually have moveable/removable counterweights so the compass can be adjusted to compensate for dip depending on where in the world the ship's sailing...
We discussed this a while ago in this thread. (Cited for its entertainment value more than its accuracy)
Rick

This really sucks,

I've gotten various compasses from all over the world like Finland, England, Japan and guess what they all work fine cept the damn compasses from suunto.

I just don't get it cus my OLD daco compass that doesn't have any tilting ability actually works better than a $85 POS!

I think I just get one of them round compasses you see in cars and stick one on my mask. Who needs wrist mount when the darn thing is on my face LOL!

SangP

SangP:
I think I just get one of them round compasses you see in cars and stick one on my mask. Who needs wrist mount when the darn thing is on my face LOL!
I have a $2 "mini-ball" compass about 2 or 3cm in diameter from Walmart as a zipper pull on my dive bag. I often loan it to insta-buddies that have rental gear that lacks a compass. They work surprisingly well.

wv-scoutgear_1910_2196194

SangP:
This really sucks,

I've gotten various compasses from all over the world like Finland, England, Japan and guess what they all work fine cept the damn compasses from suunto.

I just don't get it cus my OLD daco compass that doesn't have any tilting ability actually works better than a $85 POS!

SangP
Your SK7 should still *work* ok. SK7s are remarkably tolerant of tilt without sticking.
Rick

That looks bout right cept I have no idea what's my bearing cus there are no numbers and I'm not putting that pin through my nose LOL!

SangP

Rick Murchison:
Your SK7 should still *work* ok. SK7s are remarkably tolerant of tilt without sticking.
Rick

Rick,

It does work cept I hate it when it looks at me funny. Every tried to look at someone when their head is tilted off to one side? Your head tends to till too, that's what I hate bout my sk7.

SangP

SangP:
I hate it when it looks at me funny.
Can't help you there :D
Rick

Back
Top Bottom