What tanks???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kestrell

Reaction score
I know it would be easier to just get an aluminum 80 and forget about it, but there are other options out there and I want everyone's opinion on them. It seems like there are definite benefits to a steel tank, such as bouyancy and a good selection of tank volumes.

By the way, for right now I am limiting myself to single tank diving.

Anyway, what does everyone recommend? Should I stick with an AL80? Does a steel 85cft or a 98cft tank make more sense for single tank diving?

Steel is great because it lets you take lead off your belt. Every time you strap on an Al 80, you have to add 4 pounds to your belt because it turns positive when empty. With most steel tanks you can take that 4 pounds off. You also [usually] get more gas and better trim.

I have 2 PST100 hp steels and love them. My al80 went bye bye. Very nice dropping the extra lead.

I am good on air and dive steel 72's exclusively as do the other diving family memebers. All three of us keep up with AL 80 equipped divers with no problems as long as we are careful to get decent fills.

The steel tanks allow about 4 pounds of weight to be taken off the belt and they are inexpensive at around $50-100 each on the used market. They also last pretty much forever with reasonable care and have no issues with sustained load cracking as can occur in certain AL tanks.

If you want a larger tank, Faber makes a great 75.8 cu ft tank that is essentially equal to an AL 80 in capacity

DA Aquamaster:
I am good on air and dive steel 72's exclusively as do the other diving family memebers. All three of us keep up with AL 80 equipped divers with no problems as long as we are careful to get decent fills.

And they fit so nicely in the trunk of your car. :wink:

I like steel too. I suggest that you take a look at the bouyancy change from full to empty of specific tanks sizes and manufacturers. I own high pressure 100s as well as low pressure 95 steel tanks. The difference in bouyancy change from full to empty is much less in the 95 lps. If you can deal with the extra weight, 95s offer a pretty significant edge on air over aluminum 80s which I think is allways a good thing, even diving with others using al 80s. I suggest steel 95s. I think mine are Fabers.

Just ordered 2 Pressed Steel E7 80's. Should be in within the next week to two weeks. Will keep you posted on what we think.

What is the big advantage of negative buoyancy with a low steel tank? Although you can take weight off your weight belt you are carrying more weight on your back. Esentially you are carrying the same weight, just in a different place. What is wrong with my thinking here?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom