What tanks are these?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ghetto Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Wth am I looking at here?
20191023_181918.jpg

The SRP stamp is suspicious (old o2 bottle or something?)
20191023_181938.jpg

I don't have access to them, yet.
That's a 13cf dropped in for comparison.
Not worried about the neck size.

Yeah it's a beautiful tank, is there green underneath the orange, makes for a perfect vintage pony, better than the best

USD also made those tanks, I've got one for diving with a similar scuba valve, white here is O2, overpainted with yellow.

Made in 73 so it's not vintage. No scuba manuf was using tapered threads by then so my guess is it's a repainted O2 tank.

Haha you beat me to the page to ask the same question. No sign of repaint. A friends dad used to use them to scuba dive for golf balls in Florida lakes. They are made by PST. I scraped away some orange in a random spot and no green anywhere. That being said, for $20 a tank what do you have to lose

1972, when the last royal aquamaster was made seems to be the most commonly cited cutoff

The Royal Aqua Master was around in 1973. That is the last year that it was supposed to be around, but I just double checked the US Divers catalogs. The catalogs shows the Royal Aqua Master in 1973 and in 1974. It was not in the 1975 catalog.

I remember having them for sale (at the dive shop were I worked) around 1973 or even 1974, but the last one sat around for a while without selling.

The description at the top of this section reads:
Vintage Equipment Diving
Pre-1980 "Vintage" SCUBA Gear, including Double Hose Regulators, Conshelfs, Voit, Aquamaster, Horsecollar BC's and other classic pieces of gear. Sea Hunt, Jacques Cousteau and the early history of this great sport.

But most vintage equipment divers probably consider the equipment of the mid and late 70's as very innovative. There were a lot of interesting equipment ideas that were being explored in the late 70's.

Its not so much the year as it is about some unique characteristic that sets it apart . A 57 Chevy will always be a classic, a 75 Vega will not. These are old tanks but no different than they are today. Vintage has some unique quality about it as opposed to just old, these tanks have nothing to set them apart from a new one other than age.

1972, when the last royal aquamaster was made seems to be the most commonly cited cutoff

my born on date was in 1972, glad to know I'm officially vintage now.:D

What is your unique quality that sets you apart, aside from being old?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom