What suit to take to Fla in late Jan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mksmith713

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Diving Lauderdale and Largo in Late Jan..
I have 3mm and 7mm.
Which to take with me?
Can't take both.

I have 3mm and 7mm.Which to take with me?Can't take both.
Reluctantly, I suggest the 7mm. It is probably more than you need (5 would be a no-brainer for me). But I have found several times that Largo in Feb had water temps around 70, and I was COLD in a 3mm. You won't be too hot in a 7mm, although diving one is a bit of a PITA, at least for me.

I've been wearing my 5mm and stay comfortable. The water temp is 72 - 75 degrees here so it would be about the same or a little cooler in Ft. Lauderdale. You might do just fine in your 3mm with a vest. The 7mm is probably overkill, but you wouldn't be cold on the second dive.

I dove in early Jan a few years back, and I was in my 3mm and didn't seem to mind it (however, I don't get cold quickly) Having said that, I just got back about a week or so ago, and used my 3mm extensively, (gloves, no hood) but got a little chilled towards the end of the second dive on an occasion or two.

The locals are all in 5mm's with hoods right now!

I have 3mm and 7mm.
Which to take with me?
Can't take both.

Your choice of wetsuit depends on what brand of wetsuit you are diving and your metabolism.
Our rental suit is the Pinnacle Breaker 3mm. It has features not found on most other wetsuits like the neck collar seal and superior ankle seals and wrist seals, plus a 7mm spine pad behind the zipper. These add up to provide an exceptionally warm 3mm wetsuit that is perfect for our Key Largo winter water temps.
Other 3mm wetsuits will provide inferior warmth but you probably won't get hypothermic. You might use a 5mm if you have access to one. I wouldn't bother with the 7mm.
You can always stop by and rent one of our Pinnacles when you are in the Keys, I think we are the only dive operator in the Keys renting them as far as I know.
Have a great visit to south Florida and stop by and say hello if you're driving by.
Larry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom