What suit for this time of year ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've only been here ( South Florida ) for a couple of years and have found the LAYERED approach works fine with me. Most of the year I dive with a .5mm. Then around December out comes the 3mm and I wear both of them up until April or May. As the above messages have stated : everyone is different. You might try the 3mm since the temperature will be around 70-ish and if it just does not quite do the trick put the .5mm on. Of course that depends on having the above wetsuits. You have a good collection ideas on how to stay warm.

Happy Holidays and Safe diving.

Joe

out & back in is where you are more likely to get cold. Also during the SI if the sun is not out & the wind is blowing 10-15 knots you can easily get cold.

I try to encourage the divers who rent gear from me a 3 mil farmer john & a 3 mil shorty over the top of it. Those divers stay warm enough for the entire 3.5-4 hours we are on the boat.

Water temp today in the Lower Keys was 74° - I have seen it drop to 64°.

Because of the wimp that I have become..I dive dry in the winter here.

Mike,

I don't think she brought ego into the discussion. She merely described what is comfortable to her. Some of us get cold more easily than others. I just bought a 3/2 suit so I can be comfortable diving the east coast and Keys in the winter. My ¼ inch farmer john/jacket with hood is a necessity for winter in the Gulf, it's overkill on your side. I can't wait for mid May so I can go back to diving in just a swim suit. There's nothing macho about diving cold, I agree. OTOH, there's no good reason to get over heated either.

Jim,

For the boat rides, strip off the wet suit and put on warm dry clothing. There's nothing warm about a wet wetsuit in cold air.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom