What speed film do you recommend???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scren

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I know most people have moved to digital already, but I'm new to diving & underwater photography, and I only have a basic Sealife film underwater camera that I am learning with (I'll go digital someday!). I have gotten conflicting info from a variety of people about what speed of film I ought to be using... can anyone give me their opinions on this?

I didn't see anything else posted about film speed, but please direct me if I missed it!
thanks!

When I shot film. I used ASA100. I know some folks say 200 and 400 but to me it was too grainy. 100 is plenty fast enough.

I had this camera and found Kodak 100 to be the best. Especially with the flash.

100 should be fine in brightish conditions.

Check out Agfa's range of consumer films...I found one that was out of this world for an inexpensive film...had the most incredible oranges and purples.

Hated Kodak...too much blue bias for me.

Loved Fuji...just seemed to cope with a wide range of lighting and conditions.

YMMV - try several different brands/types until you get the look YOU like, everyone sees something different.

Looking forward to you first photo posting!

Although it's slow film ASA64 gives the best colours. You can't always use it without a flash - but it's worth a try if you have a flash

scren, I would hesitate to suggest a film speed without knowing the environment.

Low vis usually has me shooting with 400.

Great vis and warm water, I stick with 100 if bright and sunny, otherwise 400 if overcast.

Generally I shoot chromes (slides), although modern negative films are certainly quite good. If shooting negs, 200 would be a good general use film in good-vis-and-bright conditions.

All the best, James

Shoot 100 asa print film in this camera it will give the best results.

excellent! thanks for all the great advice-- i was skeptical about 100 speed because it made more sense to me to use something faster, but i will play around with it some more! one more question-- do you have the developers enhance the reds and yellows? i'd read that this can help improve the color of the pix...

scren:
excellent! thanks for all the great advice-- i was skeptical about 100 speed because it made more sense to me to use something faster, but i will play around with it some more! one more question-- do you have the developers enhance the reds and yellows? i'd read that this can help improve the color of the pix...

Plus 1 red, plus 1 yellow minus 1 green

Back
Top Bottom