What software to ue for editing Go Pro and Intova video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

herman

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have on of the Intova video cameras coming but I have no idea what software to use to edit the video and to add simple effects like titles, comments and backgound music. I don't need or want a high end program, just something reasonably simple to do the limited processing I want to do. What are other members using and any hints or tips I might find useful. I have spent a lot of time editing photos but this is my first venture into video.

I have on of the Intova video cameras coming but I have no idea what software to use to edit the video and to add simple effects like titles, comments and backgound music. I don't need or want a high end program, just something reasonably simple to do the limited processing I want to do. What are other members using and any hints or tips I might find useful. I have spent a lot of time editing photos but this is my first venture into video.
I would recommend this, particularly at the sale price it is at now. Amazon.com: Sony Creative Software Movie Studio HD Platinum 11: Software I use Vegas Pro 11, but the differences in what you will want to do should be insignificant. Vegas is very intuitive, and very powerful.
There are also several different options in getting the file out of the GoPro, and converting it to a much better editing format.....Start with this...http://gopro.com/software-app/cineform-studio/

You're getting the Intova Sport correct? It shoots h.264 .mov format video.

If you have a Mac, iMovie should handle that fine - and (I believe) it's free with OS X. If you have a Windows you may want to look at Pinnacle Studio HD - http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSi...cts/Home+Video/Studio+Family/Studio+HD+15.htm - $60 - as it supports direct import of that format without having to do the conversion mentioned in the previous post. It's also very easy to use, menu driven with lots of help.

It also does the sorts of things you appear to want - easily:

SmartMovie automatically edits your videos to fit the music and creates photo slideshows
Montage feature makes it easy to create picture-in-picture animations-no experience required
The included Montage templates give you a head start with easy-to-use, multi-layer animations, transitions, and titles
Add stunning music and effects

My dive buddy uses it. He went from never editing video to a decent short video with a title page and on-screen descriptions, set to his music in about 4 hrs. one day. (His wife - who uses it more often helped...:wink:)

If you're getting a GoPro, I recommend what dan did. GoPro supplies the cineform codec/converter needed for free.

If you want free iMovie or Windows Movie Maker work. WMM can be annoying at times but it gets the job done for the simple things you're looking at doing.

Besides the 2 mentioned there's also Adobe Premiere Elements. Both Adobe and Sony have 30 day trial versions of their software so you can see which one you like. I couldn't really find a trial version for Pinnacle.

---------- Post Merged at 09:20 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:20 AM ----------

If you want free iMovie or Windows Movie Maker work. WMM can be annoying at times but it gets the job done for the simple things you're looking at doing.

Besides the 2 mentioned there's also Adobe Premiere Elements. Both Adobe and Sony have 30 day trial versions of their software so you can see which one you like. I couldn't really find a trial version for Pinnacle.

I am going to have to look at several. As it turns out the company that I use for photo slide shows has upgraded their product to do what I want as well. They have a free trial download and I have been happy with their product and support so I am going to look at what they are offering. ProShow - The Ultimate HD Slideshow Tool - Photodex Keep the info coming, I am sure others need the info as well.

Download the Nero 12 demo and give it a try. Very full-featured. Closest thing to Final Cut Pro that I've found for home use.

For simply splicing together one clip after another Windows Movie Maker is OK.

I got the full version of Pinnacle 16 'cause of their 3D capabilities & am still climbing the learning curve.

For a lousy $299. you can get the full and recently updated version of Final Cut Pro X which will provide all the tools you need for working with both your video and photos. It is only for Mac users however. This will be a program that you will not outgrow. WMM is buggy and is only the most basic of NLEs imho.
Steve

Anyone familiar with Linux based tools? I've got the Intova as well, and work primarily in Linux. I've looked at kdenlive, but it appears the opposite of intuitive. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom