What software is most recommended for use with the DC1400? And other questions ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kimbalabala

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've only had my camera out in the water once - and without any strobe or lighting - and wasn't happy with the results. Honestly, I thought my iphone did a better job (I have the underwater housing). Is the poor quality of my photos possibly due to having the built in camera flash on and there being a glare inside the housing? I know, I haven't shared any pics, but has anyone felt like the quality without the $300 extra light just isn't there? I chose the DC1400 over the GoPro and I fear I'm having buyers remorse. Somebody tell me I got the right camera!!!!

And of course there's my other question - what software do you like for video and for capturing pics from video?

Thanks!

Personally, I wouldn't bother with a camera underwater without at least one external strobe. If you can post an example along with the settings (shutter speed, iso, aperture) you used, further information on improvement would be a lot easier as we have no way to know what you've got otherwise.

For video, i usually just use iMovie, but I don't use it to grab images from video...I don't do that at all actually.

Pics from video do not look nearly as good as the video.

When you say pictures are poor are you talking about still pictures or video?

sorry if i'm not understanding the original posting -- "I've only had my camera out in the water once - and without any strobe or lighting - and wasn't happy with the results"

you tried taking a picture out of the water with the camera in the housing OR you tried taking a picture UNDERWATER? if you're taking the picture above water - the settings do matter and of course was the camera facing the sun, etc, etc. (but all that will have an effect on any camera.)

IMG_3249.jpgOk. This was taken in July in the Keys (the Benwood). (I'm working with Windows 8 and still haven't figured out how to use it so I sort of grabbed this picture "blind". Sorry it's not better - but it does show the general coloring I'm getting.) I had just gotten the camera and I didn't take the time to learn anything about the settings (and still haven't). I don't have a fish eye lens but would like to get one - and I think I'm going to take an under water photography class in the spring before we get to warm water again.

I spoke with a guy at my lds and he said that he grabs stills from his video on the DC1400 and it works well. I'll check with him again to see what software he uses.

I've been reading through the manual and playing with the camera and have another question. My camera seems to be stuck on taking multiple pictures (3 at a time). When I go to the menu option to change that to single shot it isn't highlighted, meaning I can't choose it. Every other setting is available to change. I think I've found some of my errors already and look forward to figuring this out -but that multiple shot thing has me vexed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom